AuthorTopic: TD5 strange loss of power  (Read 543 times)

Offline ciganka

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
TD5 strange loss of power
« on: July 25, 2008, 14:06:14 »
Hi all, do any of you have any experience of the following with TD5:

I attempted 2 climbs last week requiring a lot of power. I used low first and gunned it up.

During both climbs the revs suddenly dropped off and seemed to automatically hold themselves at a fixed level-  far lower than what I wanted.  Fortunately I made both climbs, but I had never experienced this before and she's been laned quite a lot over the last few months. She's always seemingly had a never ending supply of power. But this sudden rev drop was quite dramatic and noticeable.

Is this normal (and it just so happens I have never pushed her so hard in low first before) ? Or is this a problem?

I've experience no other syptoms AT ALL with her. The engine runns at a good temp and there doesnt seem to be any excessive smoking (at least from what I have noticed). She's 2003 and to my knowledge hasn't been deep waded before.

All thoughts gratefully received as I'm new to TD5.
www.ilovebosnia.com - Green laning tours in Bosnia

TD5, 110 SW
Twin ARB Lockers
Winch
Armour
Insa Sahara Tyres

Offline burgerman

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
Re: TD5 strange loss of power
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 19:25:01 »
 Not sure of any connection, but the "mapping" is different in high n low, basiclly you need much more travel on the loud pedal to reach desired revs,

Got somthing to do with better throttle control when on rough terrain

the first time i drove wifeys TD5  90 i had some embarrasingly  failed hill climbs  due to this reason ( i found out this info at a later date )

Just a thought  :-k
TD5 with a few Tweaks ;o)
a bit more fuel friendly than the V8

Offline Mr Bump

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: TD5 strange loss of power
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 21:34:06 »
Flat out in low first is a scary thing!  BANG!!  :shock: Is there a rev limiter or some electrickery magic thing built into the ECU?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal