AuthorTopic: earth fault ???  (Read 358 times)

Offline whits

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • 80 series cruiser with a few extras bolted on
    • leeds
  • Referrals: 0
earth fault ???
« on: June 16, 2008, 20:20:36 »
i was stuck a bit stranded the other day as my disco wouldn't start, it gave symptom's of a flat battery. anyway after a few tries it started but with a puff of smoke from around the handbrake, so out came the center console but couldn't see anything wrong, so back together it went only to find i couldn't let the handbrake off, on closer inspection the plastic coating on the inner cable had melted in to a big blob that wouldn't fit in the outer cable. so out came the hacksaw and the cable came off.
only reason i can come up with is earth between engine/gearbox to chassis broken and its used the cable instead
my question is how many earths should there be between engine/gearbox and chassis as i can only find one that is intact
300tdi disco, bfg muds, 2"lift, husky, few other extra's bolted on

Offline Disco-Ron

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: earth fault ???
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 21:44:10 »
you only need one earth strap, it's best if it goes either to the chassis, or my ideal would be straight to the battery.... or if you wanna be posh, one lead from the engine to chassis, and another on the same bolt up to the battery....
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal