Vehicle & Technical > Discovery

Help please! towbar bolts wont come out!

<< < (2/4) > >>

bambamjj:
Hello Rob

they were smashed so binned them, sorry

clbarclay:

--- Quote from: bambamjj on June 15, 2008, 02:24:40 ---heating Not sure about that. 
--- End quote ---

You might not be, but having done a few of these that have had 20+ years to grow in heat (and plenty of it) is the most effective tool on them. Not so good if your chassis has just been waxoiled.

If you still have a hex left on one end so much the better.
Bake them for a while, then stick a socket on one end with a T-bar and work it back a forth, don't just keep bearing on it one way. the idea being little by little to loosen the bolt.

redhand:
If they're siezed and you just try to hammer them out you mushroom the end of the bolt and make it worse. You need heat. If all else fails then it is possible to cut them off with a grinder and make new mountings to replace them. I have done this. and its quite simple just 2 strips of flat 50mm x 3mm plate and a short length of 10mm bore tubing.

kiteman0:
heat is the way forward as the others have said :clap:
mine sheared off aswell so i heated up the bolts and just sat there turning them with a socket backwards and forwards untill they
came loose,took a while but came out in the end :D

Les Henson:
If you are not going to git the tow bar brackets, then drill new holes for the Jate rings (don't forget to fit crush tubes though).
Otherwise - a lot of heat will eventually get the old ones out.

Les.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version