AuthorTopic: What they teach in science lessons.  (Read 5320 times)

Offline 3laner

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
What they teach in science lessons.
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:41:09 »
Spoke to mum earlier and she was saying that she went to pick up my sister (12) from school and she got in the car and burst into tears telling mum she was evil and had to sell her car. Turns out the teacher had made the whole class stand up and say what car their parents drove. sis had said a petrol 4x4 and had been told by a teacher who she believes is always right that the car was evil and she had to sell it.
How are teachers allowed to poison our kids like this. If my kids get treated like this parents eve will be alot of fun :evil:
1994 300 tdi Defender-SOLD
2002 TD5 Defender 90 Monte Carlo Blue: IRB stage 2 tuned and intercooled-SOLD
2005 Golf GTi 200- Landyless :(

ON THE LOOK OUT FOR MY NEXT 4x4
www.irbdevelopments.com

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Re: What they teach in science lessons.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:46:34 »
Spoke to mum earlier and she was saying that she went to pick up my sister (12) from school and she got in the car and burst into tears telling mum she was evil and had to sell her car. Turns out the teacher had made the whole class stand up and say what car their parents drove. sis had said a petrol 4x4 and had been told by a teacher who she believes is always right that the car was evil and she had to sell it.
How are teachers allowed to poison our kids like this. If my kids get treated like this parents eve will be alot of fun :evil:

I would be right into that school and have the teacher explain them selves!
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 12:03:46 »
right that is not on. if i was you i would ask if you can give an assembly on "global warming" then when they aggree go onto the front and rave about how its not proven yet and people can drive what they want, then show off your truck, make it a practical assembly have them climb on the bonnet and sit in the seats and just go off on one on how amazing 4x4's are.

if they say no, find the teacher, and sort them out  :twisted: ;)
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline baz2236

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:17:28 »
My Little girl who is 7 came home the other day from school says she is not going to eat because she has been told she is fat and she has been told by the dinner ladys that she needs to start having school dinners so she has more healthy food that what we give her in her pack lunch.
Thanks,
      Baz

Offline casey12

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 14:34:25 »
My Little girl who is 7 came home the other day from school says she is not going to eat because she has been told she is fat and she has been told by the dinner ladys that she needs to start having school dinners so she has more healthy food that what we give her in her pack lunch.
That is awful, i would have to go in and have a little word, my little girl has had school dinners for 6 weeks and i am thinking of putting her back on packed lunches, every time i ask what she has had it is pizza and chips, pie and chips, burger and chips. We are really surprised at the rubbish she is getting. Luckily she is older and does choose extra fruit and veg off the trolley .

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 17:33:45 »
thats quite shocking, both of those storeys :shock:
in science at my school they used to do a cigarrete experiament which meant lighting 3 cigarettes one after the other in a enclosed room so we all inhailed to smoke  :shock:

the school curriculum is mainly stupid, i do enjoy calculating my familys carbon footprint as it is huge  :lol: and then presenting this to the rest of the class  :lol:
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 18:17:45 »

speaking as a parent i would be straight in there and sort out the teacher, they should not be indoctrinating their own political views on children, we had a similar incident at my daughters school but she was well versed in anti 4x4 propaganda and stood her ground defending them to the rest of the class and pointing out how we still use a 12yr old vehicle when most of her friends have new cars every other year etc, that said the wife went in there and sorted them out pointing out the biased views of the teacher who incidently drives an old VW beetle which chucks out more rubbish from the exhaust than my car does
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 19:09:24 »
That sounds like a good case of bullying by an authority figure. Complaint time!

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 20:58:05 »
Surely, instead of "have the teacher explain themselves!" or "find the teacher, and sort them out" the best course of action would be to find out what was actually said - speaking to parents of other children and then speaking to the teacher. Then, armed with information from all sides, you are in a position to respond.

On the flipside, I often have pupils who come into school and tell me about the "harm" my Discovery does. I answer them with the facts. It's 13 years old - average vehicle age is 6 years. I can trace 2nd hand parts from 33 different cars on it, etc, etc.

"Pizza and chips, pie and chips, burger and chips". I am amazed that any schools still sell such combinations. Since Jamie Oliver's first program based at Kidbrooke School, school dinners have changed beyond recognition.

"I do enjoy calculating my familys carbon footprint as it is huge and then presenting this to the rest of the class". As a ammunition for our demise?
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline SEDDEY

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 01:43:30 »
I'm a teacher, I drive a Disco, I ride a motor bike, I do all the things that I shouldn't do according to the tree huggers.

I also try and educate the Little 'darlings' (11 to 16 year olds) about  4x4 and the fact the they last longer than their parents boxes and there for have less envirnmental impact. This seems to be against the Science dept and sometimes the Re dept.

Some seem to see that there is the other side to the argument, ( the gifted and talented, as they call they today)

The problem is not always teachers, it is what is seen on TV, in papers and kiddie mags.

I'm not saying that teachers are all correct in what they teach. Some can't see past the syllabus they read.

It can be a sad world when many of the teachers that are coming into the profesion these day have done the school-collegue-school thing. They have zero live skills and knowledge outside what they have read in a book.

The government is not helping with the grants they give the new teachers. Come in, have £3000 (ish ?) we'll pay of your student loans, just stay in teaching 2 years.

Then  they go. Don't blame they really. But where does that leave the kid? Where are the life skills that need to be pasted on to the next generation?

All of this came from the 1st topic post! God I try to teach the wider aspects of life. The real world. And at times it goes against  the curriculum but I will do it anyway!

They deserve to be given the facts but in a way they can make up their own minds. And for Gods sake not some thing so emotional and life shattering at 8 years old.

The teacher and dinner staff want birching for putting ideas like that in their heads at that age!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:48:20 by SEDDEY »
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely
200TDi discovery

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 09:33:17 »
Surely, instead of "have the teacher explain themselves!" or "find the teacher, and sort them out" the best course of action would be to find out what was actually said - speaking to parents of other children and then speaking to the teacher. Then, armed with information from all sides, you are in a position to respond.

That is i expect what most of us do and indeed what i do first, i hate going in unarmed as it were without the facts however there is one particular teacher in the school who insisted on carrying on this one person crusade about the evil gas guzzlers on the school run even setting homework about it to my 7 year old who takes everything the teacher says as gospel :roll: i dont think she was quite prepared for the amount of complaints she had about it as 2 thirds of the class are from rural communities and use large cars,4x4,s etc as a way of life

SEDDEY- i agree with you there are a lot of teachers who are in schools that i,ve seen who dont seem to have a broad perspective of life and have only just left school themselves it seems but there were 2 in my kids school straight out of college and they were fantastic with the kids there are good and bad teachers everywhere how they manage to do the job in the first place i,ll never know i couldnt sit in with a class of kids all day i,d go mad
Neal

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 11:06:38 »

how they manage to do the job in the first place i,ll never know i couldnt sit in with a class of kids all day i,d go mad

WIBBLE...... hehehehehehhehehehhehe.......
* Bob696 slaps beast5680 on back of head
* Bob696 runs off and hides behind glass door
* Bob696 blows raspberries
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 13:33:50 »

how they manage to do the job in the first place i,ll never know i couldnt sit in with a class of kids all day i,d go mad

aaah been in the job long then :lol: :lol:
Neal

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 14:09:13 »
Telling a child that they are fat and then dinner ladies telling them what they should eat is bang out of order [-X [-X

I had two cheese burgers chips ,a choc pud and a doctor pepper every day for 5 years at school (ate better at home in the evening ,in fact ate everything ) .

It's not all down to what you eat ,I've grown up a big lad but not over weight and that was due to playing rugby, riding 100 miles a week on my bike and chasing girls (some where very quick) .

And I don't know about you lot and no offence meant if there is anyone in the trade but I have never seen a skinny dinner lady ( and I am aloud to say it as my mum was one) ;)
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 14:16:49 »
........had been told by a teacher who she believes is always right that the car was evil and she had to sell it.

Good and scientific then? As a science teacher, I'm sure they qualified that statement with factual evidence? I suspect not. I have no problem with personal views being used to teach our children, but it should be explained and discussed. After all, it was supposed to be a science lesson for goodness sake!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 14:26:34 »
.....been told by a teacher who she believes is always right that the car was evil and she had to sell it.

I could understand it if you had one of these, called Christine, that  went around killing people, rebuilding itself after being wrecked, and being possesed by evil spirits, but a 4x4? Load of cock!

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 15:04:58 »

how they manage to do the job in the first place i,ll never know i couldn't sit in with a class of kids all day i,d go mad

aaah been in the job long then :lol: :lol:

Only 5 years (that's 2 years more than the average though). If you want a to meet a real loon then TonyEGV is your man. He has been teaching science at the same school for 20 years  :shock:

Serious note. The teacher in question was bang out of order. At the very least a warning letter to keep her opinions to herself would be in order (even if the pupil in question exaggerated, enough was still said to upset her).
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline SEDDEY

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 18:16:38 »
I must be getting out on the edge then. I have been teaching Technology for 16 years this year!

But I'm not mad,............... my little voices keep telling me that I am perfectly sane!!  :-$
200TDi discovery

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 18:36:51 »
I have been teaching Technology for 16 years this year!

Snap!  :dance:
Rob Steele

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 21:31:17 »
Id phone the local rag and say you had a good story about a teacher inciting bullying among children.

Im thinking of getting  sticker for the Freelander/Series which says "As a matter of fact I DO LIVE ON A F***ING FARM!)
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 22:04:01 »
Id phone the local rag and say you had a good story about a teacher inciting bullying among children.

I'm sitting here watching CSI New York. Mac has just said, "Don't you want to get your facts straight before you sensationalise the story".
Rob Steele

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 22:11:21 »
My students learn that large, gas-guzzling 4x4s can sometimes last many times longer than "normal" cars, and you have to look at the bigger picture to get a balanced viewpoint.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline SEDDEY

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 23:48:42 »
That's exactly what I tell them!

Having said that I have just found rot in the bottom of the N/S A plillar and I have no doubt it will not be the only place! But we can rebuild them, say that about the modern box stuff.
200TDi discovery

Offline freeagent

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 00:14:53 »
I can't wait for my daughter to come home from School and tell me i need to sell the disco....

my Science teacher wife and I will be up the school quicker than you can say 'never let the truth spoil a good yarn'
1996 300Tdi 3-Door Discovery...

H/D Steering rods, Steering guards, diff guards, discoparts H/D rear bumper, rocksliders with tree bars, 245/75r16 General Grabber AT2's..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal