AuthorTopic: Type 1 diabetes  (Read 2221 times)

Offline burgerman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
Type 1 diabetes
« on: April 24, 2008, 17:44:37 »
 Popped down teh docs this afternoon with a few ailments, ( massive thirst, and relief off said thirst, generally feeling not the biscuit)

Anyhow turns out i  am type 1 diabetic :(  With hind sight not a massive suprise as i have had 2 major pancreatatic attacks and a whopper of an op to drain a cyst that had developed , got a appoinment tomorrow morning at the diabetic clinic/hospital to get tested and start a cure,

It seems from chatting to doc it should be business as norm when sorted out  [-o<

Unfortunately i am now signed off work till then ( i work on the railway)   But after chatting to my manager today he seems cool about it, several drivers/guards have this ailment and are ok to work, ( which was a concern of mine  8-[   )  depending on your needs some even get different breaks to eat/jab ect,

In all apart from being a tad shell shocked, i am positive about it, but feel beter sharing it with a few others

Thanks for ya time in listening to my woes  ;)   will update this after tomorrow
TD5 with a few Tweaks ;o)
a bit more fuel friendly than the V8

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Type 1 diabetes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 17:59:51 »
I've got to go for a test on Tuesday for diabetes :(
--
Neil

Offline sleeplessparadise

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 18:58:43 »
From my understanding the if you are type 1 you are going to be insulin dependant. This will mean informing the DVLA. O/H has just been diagnosed type 2 and is on a tablets for this. There is a wonderful new programme in our area called DESMOND (Diabetes Education Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed) This consisted of 2 sessions, 3 hours long and was most informative. We were given a folder with lots of booklets and pages for O/H to keep track of things he needs to keep track of. He has to be double careful now cause at the same time as he was diagnosed diabetic he was also told he had Ulcerative Colitis so certain things that are good for his diabetes are not good for that! He was told at clinic today though that because he has been diagnosed diabetic relatively young (he just turned 40) that he will probably be on insulin in 10 to 15 years.  If you are offered the DESMOND sessions I would highly recommend them, you won't learn half what you need from the doctor. Good luck with it all.......... Thrasher fingers crossed for you for Tuesday!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 19:40:50 by sleeplessparadise »
Helen aka Sleeplessparadise aka Mrsjohnty
defender 90 Td5 LilRed  SIIa 109 Stationwagon Bluebell
NBH LOC

Offline discodee

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 19:21:46 »
My big brother is insulin dependant and he works on the rigs as a mechanic and as long as he keeps it within certain boundaries he gets his medical and the company are happy to have him he was scared sh#####s when he was diagnosed with type 1 as weve never heard of a diabetic working offshore and it took quite a while to get it under control and to understand what he needs to do but everything is ok for now so keep the heed and itll all work out ,all ther best and good luck, don

you can kid a fool,but you cant fool a kid

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 19:58:16 »
One of the scout leaders I used to work with was insulin dependant ,He gave us all a scare when he tested himself and found he was due for a jab then found out he'd locked all his stuff in the car :shock:(camping with 15 young people in north wales) so it was a quick dash in my car to his house 10 miles away to get spares and another key .

He now carries a couple of shots in a pouch on his belt ;) be prepared and all that :lol: :lol:

My uncle takes tablets and lives a totally abnormal life ;) You haven't met him :twisted:
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Bunnie

Attack Member
    • portsmouth
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 20:41:27 »
type 1 is not insulin dependant.. its more of diet control
type 2 is the insulin dependant.. depending on how bad it is, its controled in different ways. some people like my dad only need to jab themselves once a day other will need to jab themselves with every meal/at set times.
there is plenty written about the condition and it can be very easily controled once you have found the right combination of medication. i will say that the chocolates designed for diabetics are much good and your prob better off eating your fave choice but less of it.
Suzuki Vitara (Rabbit)- Alive and well
206cc (Puggy) -Sold Defender Black (mummys 90)
Disco 200tdi (Serenity)- Sold
Audi S2 - Rich's beast
Audi 100 - The work horse
Sapphire the Siberian Husky
Skye the Alaskan Marlamute
Devil Ducks (Howard, River & Jayne)

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 20:43:29 »

Sorry Bunnie,

You've got it wrong, Type 1 is Insulin dependent and type 2 is Diet and Tablet control, I'm type 2 on tablets.
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 21:11:02 »
Type 1 diabetes (insulin-dependent diabetes)
Type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent diabetes)
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 13:30:32 »
Yup, cos Im type 2 ( metformin..) went onto insulin when we were trying for our youngest!

Bouncy

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 13:50:33 »
cor I remember when there was IDDsand NIDDs Insulin and None Insulin dependent.  Shows how old my training is. My best mate is a diabetes consultant in Wakefield/Pontefract and she says the trick is control and moderation!

As an ex NHS podiatrist I advise all diabetics to check your feet, go to your check ups and buy decent shoes.

Hope it settles soon and work are reasonable about it all.

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 21:41:54 »
I'm type 2 and it's not all that bad once you get it under control with diet or tablets.

I didn't even get to try diet as I'd had it too long undiagnosed. ON the day I was diagnosed it wqas purely by accident. My mum is type 2 with diet control and I'd gone to see her. When I told her how I'd been feeling for months she told me to use her "kit" and check my blood/sugar. It was 28. Rang the GP and got straight in and brought under control in a week.

It really is best to inform DVLA and your insurance company.
DVLA aren't interested (but will make a note) if you are diet or tablet controlled as long as you haven't gone hypo.
Insurance aren't bothered if DVLA haven't restricted your license in any way. They don't load the insurance. Type 1 is different again though.

Once you get used to it then it's a breeze and if you rob Peter to pay Paul you can eat stuff that you shouldn't eat.
The secret is keeping the levels even throughout the day. Big swings cause big problems. Mine is usually around 7-8

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 00:58:59 »
I'm Type1 diabetic I was diagnosed last March, and it has been a pain in the butt I wish I hadn't bothered going to the docs. I'm on a single daily injection so can't rob peter to pay paul. my diet is garbage I've gone from living off fried breakfasts, pasties, cream cakes & full sugar Coke, to having to eat salad and other so called healthy cr*p. I can't even have a decent drink anymore. I couldn't tell you what my levels are because I haven't bothered testing my self for the last 6months.

I've never heard of DESMOND or any other help groups or clinics. The only information supplied by my GP was a 2page leaflet explaining what Diabetes was. and that was when I was 1st diagnosed. All the other information I have I've had to find out for myself. The NHS is useless. :cry: :cry:
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline sleeplessparadise

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 08:36:45 »
As I said the DESMOND thing is fairly new from  what they told us and I don't know if it is just run locally or nationally. If you do get offered it we found it very useful.
Helen aka Sleeplessparadise aka Mrsjohnty
defender 90 Td5 LilRed  SIIa 109 Stationwagon Bluebell
NBH LOC

Offline Grumpy

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 14:39:10 »
Ive got type 2 diabetes had it for 13 years had to go on to Insulin a couple of years ago
Roy Newland
L60 MUD Discovery "GRUMPY"
L600 MUD Discovery TD5
Bedford

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal