AuthorTopic: Help needed with my defender steering  (Read 460 times)

Offline Dave Close

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help needed with my defender steering
« on: March 18, 2008, 21:22:38 »
 [-o<
Can anyone out there advise me about my steering.  I get two and a half full turns from centre when turning to left lock, but only one and three quarters when turning right.

I have a new drop arm and ball joint that is getting fitted shortly but need to equalise the turning circle, especially when out on trial sections............that is unless those setting the sections only put in left turns.

Cheers

Dave :(
Dave Close
Competition Secretary / Newsletter Editor /Website Developer
North East Rover Owners Club

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Help needed with my defender steering
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 02:17:05 »
Ok the workshop manual version for the RRC, I assume the 90 will be the same.

Disconnect the front drag link.

turn the steering fully to the left, you may want to put the steering wheel straight at thsi point.

turn 2 FULL TURNS to the right, the steering box is now centralised.  Adjust the front drag link to bring the steering wheel back to centre when traveling a straight road with minimal camber.

On later models (300TDi IIRC) there is a 7mm hole slot in the back of the drop arm and a hole above it to centralise the box, but the effect is the same.

Any discrepancy between available left and righ lock is then down to the axle steering stops or perhaps a faulty steering damper or incorrect length damper, the steering damper on DI/RRC fouling the ARB or other obstruction.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal