AuthorTopic: Kwik Fit and changing Disco tyres???  (Read 4031 times)

Offline sogster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Kwik Fit and changing Disco tyres???
« on: November 17, 2003, 20:04:18 »
A work mate had the miss fortune of getting a slow puncture at the weekend in his V8i Disco. He popped down to his local Kwik fit depot to have it repaired. (so far so good) It was close to closing time so the fitter said" We'll stick your spare on for now and do your tyre Monday" it will be ready first thing. My mate was horrified of the thought of going out with his disco half dressed but thought it would be for the best. After taking off the wheel cover the tyre fitter asked him for his wheelnut lock and got a blank look from my mate who had no idea there was a lock on his wheel as there were no other keys other than the fob and door key.

The fitter cursed and cursed again and then decided the road wheel would have to come off for the repair. He then  (and here's the strange bit) asked my mate to open the rear door????. My mat asked why, and was told " Its now company policy to open all Landrover rear doors before changing a road wheel as they have had a spate of rear windows shattering when being jacked up!!!!!" My mate was knocked back by the fitters remark and said to him "how come a landrover can go up and over mountains at all sorts of angles without too much trouble but the windows break when they are being jacked up etc etc?? The fitter was unable to give hima satisfactory answer and got on with sorting out said punctures.

Now I have never heard of this before and was wondering if there is a history of disco's shattering the rear windows when being jacked up. If anyone else has had this trouble please let me/ us know.

Lastly...... does anyone know how to get an old key locking wheelnut lock off WITHOUT damaging the alloy its locked onto?????

Thanx for reading,

Sogster
1998 50th anv Landrover Discovery Tdi      S834 FVC.

23 ft Swift Challenger 490se 2000 model

Previously owned,
1991 Landrover Discovery Tdi 5 door,        H529 KWK.

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 20:21:32 »
the vibration by the air gun could shatter the glass but its quite a rare occurrence (in fact ive never heard of this happening)

regarding the nut.. borrow someone who has one then to buy a new set with the key for it

job done

d

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 20:31:27 »
Very odd, never heard of that one before  :?

I would of thought having the rear door open specially on a Disco would cause more trouble than keeping it shut  :?:

As for the locking wheel nut, my brother-in-law used to work for a tyre fitting company, so I'll ask him see if he has any answers  :?:

Will post back with news.
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 21:00:43 »
Right then brother-in-law says that he did encounter times when this has happened :shock:

He said that there is no way of getting the wheel lock nut off without damaging the nut itself, so however way it comes off it's a case a new one or set. They used a special air threaded spanner which went over the nut and threaded itself onto the nut, then allowing the nut to be removed.

In theory sounds OK and no damage to the actual wheel or in this case the alloy.

HTH.
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

ChrisW

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 22:28:14 »
I had the locking nut problem on a laguna I used to have - they overcame the problem by hammering a piece of tube that was fractionally smaller internal diameter than that of the nut onto the nut with a hole through the end of the tube for a screwdriver to turn the nut/tube.

Chris

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 10:11:44 »
you can get a stud remover which looks like a plug socket full of needles, i looking at the locking nuts there is a lip that sticks out wich may give you enough purchase to shift it, if it's been windy hamered on though you could be in trouble.
alternatively just angle grind the wheel off and use it as an excuse to the missus for a new set of wheels and tyres - heheheh
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

1999 Alfa Romeo 146 TS rallycar
1985 Audi Quattro rally car - deceased

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 20:00:25 »
is that your plan then eh andy!

hehe

hmm might tell your better half in work if so!

whats it worth eh.....

:twisted:  :wink:

Offline George the Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 13:53:38 »
I though that the shattering rear window was only a feature on Freelanders?

Chris
Now: 51 plate Freelander Commercial.
Then: G Reg 200tdi Disco, 182,500 miles, 35ish mpg, Stickers, Home made snorkle, Deflex Bushes, Blah, blah, blah...

Offline Moose

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 21:49:53 »
I would have thought the rear side windows would be more prone to shattering, the rear door is less likley to flex.

Interesting.
Chris Gorvin

Shiny Blue Crew 002 -2004 Discovery TD5 'Monte'
Shiny Blue Crew 012 - 2002 Suzuki Jimny 'Jimbo'
2002 Avondale Rialto 550-4 'Dopey'

ICQ 337908510
www.off.road.club4x4.net
www.northmidlands-doc.co.uk
http://community.webshots.com/user/shinymoose

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal