AuthorTopic: Exhaust systems  (Read 274 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Exhaust systems
« on: February 17, 2008, 20:49:31 »
I am trying to work out the cheapest way of repairing my exhaust on my rover 620. My issues are

where the back and middle sections bolt together they have rusted appart. Could I chop the bolted bits off and buy a straight through jointing piece of pipe to re attatch them?

Flexi pipe has broken and blows the worst.
Solution 1
buy a new bit at £91. this will also need the bolts in the manifold drilling out as they are mega rusted (1 nut doesnt even exist any more) so manifold will need unbolting from the head. Manifold has a slight crack in from 1 of the cyclinders so may break and also bolts may sheer off in the head. Will need hexi coiling (what ever that is). Also bolts to cat are properly rusted on.

solution 2. Buy a new piece of flexi pipe, chop the lexi pipe out, chop middle section a little bit, move cat down the car and re attatch with a inline exhaust sleeve and same to the flexi pipe. I am unsure of how much room there is spare between the emissions sensor-flexi pipe and flexi-cat. Need to look tomorrow.

Or take it to the local exhaust place and pay them £300 for a complete new exhaust but sauce out another new manifold for thm to save them time drilling out the old bolts to front section.

Anyone else got any ideas? this is my only reliable car and would like it working properly after spending £600 for an mot. Yes I know, £900 in the space of a few weeks on a £250 car isn't very viable but I have many reasons why!  ;)
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Exhaust systems
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 16:35:51 »
If you're spending £300 you might as well get a pwerflow system made :-k
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Re: Exhaust systems
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 18:47:03 »
I got the car on ramps today (not as easy as it sounds!) and had a measure up.

I have found a front section off a honda accord on ebay brand new for little money at the moment. I need to email the chap to make sure the hanger is in the right place. If it is, then I will chop my current one off at the straight part and put a joining sleeve over and attatch it to the new one which I will also chop to the right size and re hang it. I will then buy a new cat (£45 from ebay inc postage) and bolt this to my new front pipe with the hopefully not blowing flexi bit in. I will then chop the middle section short. This gets around the rusted current cat bolts! The manifold end of the new front pipe I will chop off, place behind the cat and again use a straight through joining sleeve to the current middle section. I will do an aweful drawing in paint later to help describe. BUT, if you have understood it, does it sound like a do-able plan?

A new manifold is £50+vat from the local scrappy and £400 ish for a new one. The bolts are very very very rusted to the front pipe and I am affraid the bolts into the head will sheer off. So I am hoping this may eliminate those factors of actualy making this car a write off.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal