AuthorTopic: Anyone been to iceland????????  (Read 4202 times)

Offline v8dakar

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Anyone been to iceland????????
« on: February 09, 2008, 09:41:23 »
We are thinking of going iceland about july time this year.
Has anoyone got any information about it e.g what we need to take, whats the weather like, is it best to camp or B&B?  :lol: :lol:
Thanks

Offline 90Mike

Attack Member
Re: Anyone been to iceland????????
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 12:42:45 »
Has anyone got any information about it e.g what we need to take
In your case mate i dont think a convoy of fuel tankers would be a bad idea  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
MRM Auto Centre
Unit 6 Central City Industrial Estate
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Services, Repairs and very soon MOTs also available rent a ramp for a day or on an hourly rate PM me for details.

Offline simondarby

Attack Member
    • South Devon
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 13:58:22 »
Weather is similar to our Summer, but be prepared for anything! The saying goes that if you don't like weather, just wait 15 minutes...  You can only take 3Kg of food each into Iceland.  I got fined for taking 26Kg between 2 of us as I forgot the limit...

Comprehensive tool kit.
Decent camera and video camera to capture your memories.  I made a movie of my trip and it is really magic to remember the fun you had there.
Decent all terrain tyres.
A mate with another vehicle to go with you should the worse happen, or meet up with some locals such as this lot. www.islandrover.com.
Camping is plentiful, there are lots of sites dotted about. Cost about £7-£8 per night per person.
Camping in the interior is ace, but be prepared for it to get a bit fresh at night...
Something to do on the ferry.  It is a 31 hour crossing.  don't forget to take your sleeping bag from the car as you cannot return to the car deck once you leave your vehicle.  Ilearned the hard way and got very cold.  Ear plugs aren't a bad idea as it isn't exactly quiet onboard!

I can't wait to go again...

Si
1994 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN130

Offline v8dakar

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 19:30:00 »
cant afford for the tankers to come aswell so we will go in the disco :lol: :lol: :dance:

Offline sardonicus

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 23:08:05 »
So is anyone going this year ? Am seriously considering it as have scrapped plans for norway ...
Maybe last week of june for 2 weeks. Do I really need a fully kitted out offroader ?? Was thinking of chucking the camping gear  tools and some spares in the disco and just going... Along with my Rough Guide to Iceland,a few maps and a bit of common sense.... :)

Is it legal to have bullbars on a vehicle in iceland..?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 23:12:11 by sardonicus »
'97  4.0l Jeep Grand Cherokee on L.P.G.   back to family transport :(  
'82 RRC Ambulance camper project .   Sold :(
'95 300tdi disco auto. :)

Question  Everything

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 17:27:22 »
I wouldn't worry about bullbars.  Pretty much anything goes.  Take self-recovery kit.  If you have lots of nice toys on the truck, you'll enjoy them, but you will still have just as much fun in a standard truck.  Remember off-roading is illegal there, the fun is in the nature of the roads!
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 20:49:47 »
The wife is going over in the last 2 weeks of July..along with 3000 other scouts and guides from around the world  :shock: she told me it was quite difficult to arrange accomadation over there at that time so be warned if your going then, there,s some sort of jamboree going on
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal