AuthorTopic: HELP  (Read 6576 times)

Offline **em**

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
HELP
« on: February 08, 2008, 20:51:53 »
not 4x4 related but just wondered if any of you guys could help. i have a 14 month old rottweiler dog and he is becoming a nightmare the worst problem is on the lead he constantly pulls and then will just go without any warning unfortunately i have had an injury to my shoulders so i need this problem sorting especially with the bad press. i have tried alsorts even had a dog trainer out but still not succeeding please any help
Sedrick - 1989 Suzuki sj samurai
Dirk - v8 diesel disco bye bye
Snail - 1.7 diesel sj

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 21:08:47 »
get a HALTI..fixes to collar and around nose so if they pull, it turns their head..works on our 3 y/o Rotty bitch.
OH and a harness too!!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 21:11:19 by discowoman »

ben_haynes

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 21:09:16 »
what coller / harness do you have

our rottie X GSD used to do it until we got her a Halti (i think??) http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/halti.php

now she has calmed down and walks off the lead but still has mental times and has only been like it for 6 monts and is 5 years old

Good Luck and have many years Enjoyment

Offline Andy 300tdi

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 21:15:23 »
EM

Mine did the same 'get a halti, as suggested but also walk the dog with the lead held across the front of you and hold a small piece of sandwich meat or dog treat in the hand furthest away from the dog, it should encourage the dog to walk at the side of you
life's to short to drive crap.

Offline **em**

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 21:34:17 »
thanks for replies. at the moment he has the halti harness on.
i have tried choker chain and it does not bother him
the halti that goes on the face he doesn't feel as strong on but he is still constantly fighting it and if he tries to go on that if he doesn't succeed the first time he will just keep backing up and trying again he has managed to snap the halti hes that strong
i have tried a spray bottle every time he went in front of me sprayed him that didn't work
i tried the changing direction when he pulls but he just spins back round and goes or stands firm and wont turn
also tried clicker training he picks these things up very quickly and very well hes a very clever dog when he wants to be but the clicker doesn't work as soon as he wants to do something else food isn't interesting enough
distraction techniques don't work lol

thanks andy will try it but i don't think the food will keep him interested it didn't with clicker training.

this is why im running out of ideas
Snail - 1.7 diesel sj

ben_haynes

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 21:52:47 »
remote control collar

never needed to use one but have they been Highly rated by friends with boistrous dogs

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 21:56:13 »
BIG STICK  :twisted:

ben_haynes

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 21:57:38 »
BIG STICK  :twisted:

if it is like mine it trys bringing fallen trees home so a big stick wont be to much hassle :lol:

Offline Mutz

Attack Member
  • Norwich, Norfolk.
    • Norwich
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 21:59:37 »
A similar harness to the Halti, is a "Gentle Leader" we didnt have much success with the "Halti" either.

We have an over sized male GSD who is now 7 yrs. old and my wife has now started to walk him using the leader, she is riddled with Artheritis and has no power at all, GSD is like your Rottie and is determined to be Alpha dog. She can now control him with the leader so might be worth a try.

She has managed to get a trainer to help her and in just 3 weeks she is wining. He doesnt react to a check chain at all.

We have had a Rottie with similar trates to yours and it is very hard work to prove you and not they are the Alpha, try the leader instead of the Halti it might just work.

This might be hard to accept; but its probably you and not the dog that is the problem.

You also need to be in a calm frame of mind to train your dog, with out losing your cool when things dont go quite right.

Have you read the clicker training book? Its very important to "click" and treat at the right moment for it to work properly.

Another book worth reading is "The Dog Listner" by Jan Fennell, explains why you need to establish you and your dogs position in the pack.

Good luck

Graham
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 22:17:06 by Mutz »
1995 300tdi 90 rebuilt and on the road (but still a project)
1992 Pajero SWB 2.5 Auto (failed its MOT and for sale if you want it)

"I Havn't got a Bad Attitude; you just can't handle my personality"

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 23:00:19 »
12 bore :lol: :lol: it wont bring that home!!! :lol:(only jokin) :lol:
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 23:50:11 »
Mick Martin ;)

Watch dog borstal.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Andy 300tdi

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 23:55:27 »
EM

Try him first with the treat in the nearest hand, the smell will be stronger, and reward him often then he will associate reward with walking beside you then after a while try the treat in the other hand, then when he pulls offer him the treat to get him walking beside you, but don.t give him the treat until he stays beside you for a while.

good luck

Offline Andy 300tdi

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 23:59:34 »
remote control collar

never needed to use one but have they been Highly rated by friends with boistrous dogs

tried one with our boxer to get him to stop barking ***ing thing liked it and barked more often

:roll: :roll:

Offline **em**

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 00:30:21 »
the thing with him is that all techniques tried and tested seem to have little effect on him. there's a nice outline shape of me in the hedge outside em's house where he's caught me unawares an kinda dragged me through it! the halti worked for a short while but he manages to suss it out. this is the same with every method tried! he is a really clever dog but at the same time is stubborn and due to his strength once he digs his heels in is a very tough cookie. his behaviour is getting worse as the trining progresses. since the dominance training has started he has started fouling in the house and nipping. he is loving dog and loyal which is a major plus but his stubbornness is letting him down. when i'm not there i worry for em as he is so powerful and once he decideds he's doing something he will do it regardless.

good behaviour is rewarded and bad behaviour is dealt with appropriately...mainly the seperation route. we are at our witts end with him dog borstal is seeming like a good route as i reckon they would have their work cut out with him.

andy we've tried the treats etc but to no avail as he just jumps up at you or nuzzles until you have to give in due to him biting . as we've said he's a lovely tempered dog who's soft as 'poo', he's just letting himself down which with the rotty reputation isn't doing him any favours.

any more ideas anyone???  jaws
Snail - 1.7 diesel sj

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 00:48:56 »
Hi,

We have a Beagle, which is a little smaller and not as strong as your dog, but she's still a stubborn bitch. We had similar issues with pulling and had tried half choke collars, a harness that pulls up the back of the front legs, halti collar, and a funny shaped harness we bought at Crufts last year (as we don't pull anymore). Out of all the harnesses & collars etc we found the halti nuzzle thing the most effective, they can't run off as it pulls their head to the side. She did behave with this collar on as she didn't like it, probably due to it's controlling nature? Or just maybe she didn't like her mouth being clamped shut when she was trying to pull. The other downside of a halti is that most people thing it's a muzzle and that you have a vicious (typed viscous first  :lol: ) dog

I stopped her pulling by using a technique whereby when she pulls when you are walking, you stop walking. When they stop pulling start walking again. It may take a while, the first time our Beagle just stood there pulling even though she wasn't moving - stubborn so and so. I can't remember about praising with this as it was a while ago, but they do get the gist that if they pull, they don't go anywhere. This means we can now use a nice looking collar / harness when walking out and about. This may take time, but it was certainly effective for us.

Good luck

Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 01:20:14 »
Have you seen the Dog Whisperer on Cable TV? Looks at the phsycology behind what a dog is thinking and doing. Well worth watching! Has given me a much better understanding of where I go wrong without realising it.
Spacemud misses his Land Rovers :o(

Offline Andy 300tdi

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 01:21:44 »
andy we've tried the treats etc but to no avail as he just jumps up at you or nuzzles until you have to give in due to him biting . as we've said he's a lovely tempered dog who's soft as 'poo', he's just letting himself down which with the rotty reputation isn't doing him any favours.

any more ideas anyone???  jaws
[/quote]

jaws
 in that case when he does this try putting him in another room away from you and Em and leave him in there for ten minutes then try again with him

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 08:31:07 »
Harness doesnt help with saffy, it actually makes her worse as she can lean into it and get even more traction. Once she's tired out its ok.

What does work, is cheese. Cut a few cubes of cheese and give here one or two to let her know you have it then kee one at your side in your hand. If she stays there for a while, let her have it and repeat.

For some reason this only seems to work with cheese :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 12:20:47 »
We used to have a dog that just constantly pulled and that was a great dane. There was a relatively simple fix to the problem.

all you need is;

An open space, ie field car park (like a business park on a weekend with no cars in).

Just walk around the car park in straight lines and everytime he gets to the end of the lead just say heal and turn and walk in another direction. After a while he will realise that as soon as the lead goes tight he wont be going where he wants to, he will be off in another direction.

This sounds daft but given time and patience it does work.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline **em**

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 00:18:39 »
thank you all will be trying probably all of what you have said to find which works hopefully

will let you know
Snail - 1.7 diesel sj

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 17:05:48 »
Mick Martin ;)

Watch dog borstal.

Watch the dog whisperer!  Sky 1 6pm most nights.

That guy is a magician...! And further to someone elses coments, he has proven and continues to... that the "energy" of the owner/walker is the key.

Actually.. must google him and see what it says! His name is Ceaser Milan and he's based in South Central LA.

Skibum

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 19:10:08 »
well this is our 3 year old Rotty, bit of patience required - but anything is possible

Offline richo

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 19:35:49 »
Did she go to training classes when she was very young or have you just started trying to stop her pull.
My dad trained dogs years ago,mainly gun dogs and the most important thing he found was that a clever dog knows it's own mind so you have to find the thing that it likes most and some how use that in it's training.
I remember one black lab that used to run off if it saw a rabbit and chase it.
Dad stopped it one day by putting a rabbit skin on a piece of elastic and pulling right back.He put his foot on it and sat the lab next to him.He lefted his foot up and just as the skin shoot off so the lab got up to run after it my dad smacked the dog with a hazel stick which starteled the lab and from that day on it never chased again ever.
It remebered what would happen.
You will need to get the dog to remember the same thing when he thinks of pulling you .
It's hard sometimes as dogs are like family but if you can't nip it in the bud she could hurt you by pulling you in front of a car.
Why not have a talk to the rotti club and see what they say.I hope you get it sorted because they are lovely dogs that seem to be getting some bad press at the moment.
Jesus was a carpenter but god was a plasterer.

Offline jaws

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 20:37:21 »
jaws
 in that case when he does this try putting him in another room away from you and Em and leave him in there for ten minutes then try again with him

thats wot we do but it seems to have little effect. it's the same with stopping and turning the other way, once he's going somewhere he's off! i've held him till he gets blood shot eyes an foams at the mouth...in the end we just end up taking him back in doors.

Bob Ajob..the halti worked on my dog, however on boo it's a differents story. he got used to walkin sideways and walking into stuff! he's broken a few of these as when he lunges they tend to snap!

ceaser millan is a guru...but no matter how confident, calm and all the rest of it you are. there's no change in him
if only i was as intelligent as i look!
why do ex's never get the hint...STOP STALKING ME,THIS MEANS YOU!
engaged an never happier!

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 11:12:01 »
ok, again i cant be botherd to read this so sorry in advance if i repeat any of this.
i work on a farm at the momnet training gundogs and running the bording kennel
i find that the harneses, choak chains, and muzzle things dont work(dont know if anyone else thinks that) it just gives the dog extra pull
the 3 ways that i break a dog into it is to either do the stop start ie when the dog pulls  you stop, eventually they learn and realise there not getting anywhere quicker by pulling. this only really works on young dogs but is quite effective
another way is just to man up and pull the [!Expletive Deleted!] back when they pull you! they will learn quickley but i dont know how people feel about doing that, all of our dogs are "intact" and need to be shown whos boss.
nither of these things worked on our german shepard so we went to the pet store and bought a "kong" its like a spikey ball with a bit of rope you throw it by,
as with most dogs he diddnt want to let us have it so if he ran or pulled it got pulled out of his mouth.....now a shepard who doesnt pull.
just want to say i dont mistreat dogs ask anyone else who trains dogs and they will also say you have to be furm!

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline robert francis

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 12:12:16 »
a swift kick in the knacker should do a treat, nah my brothers got a spanial thing, and its such a pain in the arse, he got this stuff off ebay, item number is 160206965959 he said when hes a pain a shot of this he goes and lays down, its air in a spray tin , not drugs.lol
or this a herbal stuff relax dog or somthing like that, 300196870125.
if non of any of the comments above from any one work i wish you luck, ta
www.bonkas4x4wales.com
fully prepared offroader
lifted, large wheels, rose jointed trailing arms, snorkel,spots, roof rack, h/d rear bumper, tree sliders, winch and winch bumper, body lift, loads more.
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Offline xxstarlightxx

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 18:24:19 »
i think i must have pulled out the long straw when it came to rottys then in fairness! my dog chico was just shy of 4 ft tall when standin on all fours and that was at 2 year old! but he seemed to be pretty tame in nature, altho he didn't like other dogs within his territory he would never go out of his way to entertain them. iv had a jack russell that was worse than him! he did have a halti but he never really ever stepped out of line when out on a walk. unless he saw a kid in hood ( he likes to see faces) but he never ran off and if he pulled so long as i pulled him hard back he knew who was boss. and i'm only 5'5"  :lol:
the rich may die old but i bet they've never had mud in their wellies!

littlepow

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 19:54:57 »
How old was the dog when you got him, and when did you start training?

I take it that he will follow basic commands of sit, stay, wait and leave. If so, when he starts to pull just use the command sit to make hime stop. Then pull in the lead so it is taught, keeping him tight in against your leg and walk on. If he behaves let out the lead. When he starts to take the mick, make him sit and start again. Will take a while and get really boring, just remember to praise him when he is good.

Offline jaws

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 21:30:39 »
imy dog chico was just shy of 4 ft tall when standin on all fours and that was at 2 year old!

a four foot rotty??? you mean it had four feet or you confussed with a great dane or st bernard?  :huh:
if only i was as intelligent as i look!
why do ex's never get the hint...STOP STALKING ME,THIS MEANS YOU!
engaged an never happier!

Offline James.Harwood

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 22:16:58 »
Haltie's and gentle leaders will work for some dogs but not all.

The easiest way and long term the most effective way is quite simply whenever the lead starts to go tight, turn round and walk the other way (You may want to squirt him full in the face with water at the same time as the lead starts to go tight (presision timing is required and if in doubt don't bother)).

Anyone who walks him will need to do this every time he starts pulling and soon he will stop.

You may also want to try with the dog on your left, hold lead in right hand and stick some sausage or cheese in front of his nose as you walk, watch fingers and remember to give him some occasionally (not too much as Rotweilers can be prone to getting fat).  You will then find his nose will follow your hand as you walk.  This may take several weeks.

Also - Ban him from the sofa unless you invite him up, don't let him sit on your lap (sounds stupid with a dog that size but it is done).

Make sure he knows who is the boss.

As for the TV programs, you need to consult a professional yourself if your dog has got to that sort of stage.  Remeber what they show in 30 minutes takes weeks to achieve and are only some of the highlights of what actually happens).

Remember lots of praise and fuss.

Shouting at a dog all the time will have no effect, it will become the norm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal