AuthorTopic: rebuilt V8 issues  (Read 336 times)

Offline pas

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
rebuilt V8 issues
« on: January 28, 2008, 21:47:47 »
Hi Guys

hopefully someone will have some suggestionf for my engine problem

I have recently got a replacement v8 for my disco (last one went "porous") and decided best to do the bearings, rings and can shaft and followers (from another engine not new) before fitting it. once fitted it wouldn't start (I thought timing but this checked out ok) but found I had no compression and found the valves where not shutting properly and had bent 2 or 3 push rods on each side :doh:, so I replaced these and tried again , this time bending the same rods and snapping a rocker arm

has anyone seen this before ?? could it be dodgy cam followers ??? any suggestions would be appreciated :(

cheers
 Paul
Paul
 with a gased V8i Disco lifted with lots of home made mods

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
Re: rebuilt V8 issues
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 22:23:11 »
I see you changed the camshaft and followers but did you also use the push-rods from the other engine? If the "new" cam is a high lift variety them maybe it needs to be paired with slightly shorter push-rods?

Also, were the engines of the same capacity? Dunno if that might make a difference, or not.

Good luck  :lol:
Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:53:58 »
With cam followers, though they are self adjusting you need to check the preload on them, for details I'll point you to the RPI website.  A mine of usefull stuff.

The lackof starting and valve issue would seem a common thread, all caused quite obvioulsy by either incorrect lift/rest on the valves or, I hate to say incorrect valve timing.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline pas

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:40:37 »
I'm getting the sinking feeling I may have aligned the timing cogs wrongly, it would make sense as the valves would be trying to open against a piston ;o(

Ta

Paul
Paul
 with a gased V8i Disco lifted with lots of home made mods

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal