AuthorTopic: Td5 bulkhead onto a 1988 90  (Read 8226 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Td5 bulkhead onto a 1988 90
« on: January 23, 2008, 15:16:52 »
Hi all

Just ordered a new Td5 bulkhead because mine is way beyond repair. Everytime I look at it there's more rot  :roll:

It is going on a 1988 90 which currently has an LT77 gearbox. I understand I will need to cut out the area around the tunnel from the old bulkhead and graft it into the new one. The wiper motor mounts need sorting to take the old motor.

Is there anything else you can tell me about that needs changing?

Through my trade contacts, I am paying £145 + VAT for the new bulkhead. It's just not worth the man hours to fix the old one compared to that!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline pondy653

Attack Member
    • Norwich
Re: Td5 bulkhead onto a 1988 90
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 22:26:00 »
Hi again V8,
Done this mod myself about 2 years ago,
You do not have to cut the tunnel area at all. The tunnel adaptor screws to the bulkhead, so simply unscrew from original and screw to new one. 

You'll need to get the TD5 bonnet release cable assy, this comes with the handle (much nicer than original T handle one) JSF keep them in stock and from memory they are around a tenner.

The TD5 Elect harness passes out of two oval holes and have big oval gommets in them where as the 90's and 110's main harness comes through the center (TD5 Bulkhead has no hole) I'm pretty sure I used a 32mm hole saw to enable fitting the harness. 

Thats all I can think of at the mo.

If you need a chat Mutz has my number, give me a bell.

Got your chassis yet?

Tony   
98 Defender 110 CSW Tdi
Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Sport DSG
Yamaha WR450F (for treading really lightly)
4x4 Response (Norfolk&Suffolk) Member since 1999

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 09:50:57 »
Hi Tony

Thanks for that. I'll have the two sat next to each other, so shouldn't be too much trouble. I wasn't aware of the wiring difference. I can either weld up the oval holes or make some covers.

I don't have a cable release for the bonnet, so that's easy!
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 16:53:37 »
I've just done this job on my motor. TD5 bulkhead onto a 200tdi with LT77 gearbox.
Here's my experience:
Bad rotten bulkhead  :doh:

I found that I needed to change the panel that the transmission tunnel mounts to.
The one on the left is from my LT77 gearbox bulkhead & the one on the right is from the TD5 bulkhead (R380 long belhousing):

I simply drilled out the spot welds on both panels to remove them, then welded the LT77 panel to the TD5 bulkhead.

The wiper motor bracket will need removing from the TD5 one:

and the wiper motor simply mounts in the same position as original. New holes will have to be drilled & threaded rivet nut inserts added to screw the mounting screws into.

The hole in the passenger footwell on the TD5 bulkhead is where the wiring loom runs & will need to be blanked off, whilst a new hole will need to be cut in the centre panel. I simply used a large holesaw to cut the hole & used the disc that came out to blank off the other hole:

One thing that caused me serious problems was the rivet nuts that mount both the steering column & the heater matrix shown in the photo above.
On my old bulkhead they were M8, but there weren't any inserted in the new bulkhead. The holes for them were drilled out to fit M12 rivet nuts & I couldn't get a setting tool for M12's. I managed to borrow a setting tool for doing M10's so this was the size I used. Believe me, it's not an easy job to set M10 steel rivet nuts with a hand setting tool.

Another couple of holes were needed in the top of the footwells to mount the door stays:

Apart from removing some surplus brackets & drilling a few more small holes for self tapping screws that mount relays etc, all the rest is pretty much straight forward & a case of swaping over the componants. (Oh and the painting of course) :D

I would recommend using some sort of brushable seam sealer (something like THIS ) on all the panel joints on the new bulkhead. It will stop water ingress into the joints & as I found out because I didn't use any, will stop water getting all the way through the joints and leaking into the footwells and dripping onto my feet  :roll:
And finally, don't forget to inject copious amounts of Waxoyl into the new bulkhead  :lol:

Hope this helps.
Paul.
GLASS Lancs & Cumbria Rep.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 16:48:00 »
Paul.... you are a star! That is about the best 'how to' answer I've ever seen  :clap: :D

I had assumed that sort of thing to be modded, but your post has pointed me in the right direction and will no doubt save me a lot of time.

Thanks.

P.S. Your old bulkhead looks even worse than mine  :shock: :lol:
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 18:27:12 »
Glad to be of service.   :)
After all...that's what Mud-Club is all about, passing on our ideas & experiences.  :dance:

This is the other side of the old Bulkhead  :roll:

I really wish I'd done some remedial repair work to it years ago.  :doh:  A stitch in time as they say.

EDIT...
I found this website handy for paint colour & code identification: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/index.html  & if you can get someone to paint it in two-pack paint, this will give a much better & more durable finish.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 18:33:20 by Defender »
Paul.
GLASS Lancs & Cumbria Rep.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 13:52:18 »
I'm doing my own paint.... well, that's the plan anyway  :roll: I'm doing it panel by panel and then assembling them onto the vehicle.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal