AuthorTopic: advice please  (Read 1029 times)

Offline carracarra13

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
  • Referrals: 0
advice please
« on: January 17, 2008, 23:40:43 »
hi folks still in a dilemma got a vit 16valve lwb got to retire her reluctantly, thinking of a hilux with a crew cab or surf, this will have to be a family car also (kids and wife used to a hard ride)what to go for that wont let us down and not allways going to spend loads on it will be used off road not looking for a Chelsea tractor what are Toyota's like for running costs excluding fuel
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline Woodzie

Attack Member
Re: advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 08:49:29 »
hi folks still in a dilemma got a vit 16valve lwb got to retire her reluctantly, thinking of a hilux with a crew cab or surf, this will have to be a family car also (kids and wife used to a hard ride)what to go for that wont let us down and not allways going to spend loads on it will be used off road not looking for a Chelsea tractor what are Toyota's like for running costs excluding fuel
Have a read here http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm and here www.hiluxsurf.co.uk If i was buying now i would get a late 2nd gen or a 3rd gen......the 3rd having more plastic but the better 4wd system.
Parts from toyota are as bad as any dealer as  something small can cost a fortune and then something you expect to pay megabucks for is a surprise........and there is roughtrax , lasupertrux and 4x4toys for extras and mods.
Tax as long as it's pre 2000 is still on the old system
Surfing the plain

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
Re: advice please
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 21:57:49 »
I`d happily have another hilux pickup, the normally aspirated 2.4d wasnt fast (at all) but was enough to get by without wrecking stuff.. with 180k on an 18 year old work horse, the only issues i had were wear and tear (leaf springs, prop UJ, cambelt, brakes)

other than that bombproof. twin cabs are a bit awkward to get bits, but most parts from the surf/4runner (window glass, etc) swap fairly well.

once you have one, www.milneroffroad.com and here will be the only tw sites you`ll ever need  ;)

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal