AuthorTopic: 2.25 petrol, Cylinder head removal  (Read 5181 times)

Offline landykins

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2.25 petrol, Cylinder head removal
« on: January 12, 2008, 16:34:49 »
Right.

I'm in the process of fitting new valve seals on my Series 3, 2.25 petrol. It has a late model, 5 bearing engine (1983). Following the Haynes manual's instructions, it says to remove the rocker shaft assembly, before removing the head itself. However, on my engine, the rocker shaft carriers are held in place by 5 of the head bolts (see photo). So, do we just loosen the head bolts (in thier correct sequence), leaving the rocker shaft in place on the head, or is there something I've missed??

The instructions in the Haynes manual seem to be for a 3 bearing crank engine, is there a major difference between this and my own?

Cheers, John.
Land rover series 3 (Old-Man-Emu shocks, overdrive, 90 wheels+Colway A/Ts, Paddocks parabolics)

1.8 petrol Freelander (standard)

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
Re: 2.25 petrol, Cylinder head removal
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 22:07:32 »
The reason you remove the rocker shaft assembly seperately from the head is because of the valve pushrods. They need to be removed before the head is lifted off. When the head is replaced and before the bolts are torqued down, the pushrods are inserted and located under each respective tappet. The head bolts are then tightened in the correct sequence.

Les.

Offline landykins

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 13:48:21 »
I understand why the rocker shaft has to be removed first ,I just dont know how to do it. To remove it would mean undoing 5 head bolts out of sequence(the ones I have pointed out in the pic). Wouldnt  this put undue stress on the head and cause it to warp?
Land rover series 3 (Old-Man-Emu shocks, overdrive, 90 wheels+Colway A/Ts, Paddocks parabolics)

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 15:02:53 »
Well as you are taking the head off anyway then no it wouldn't.

Slacken off the Tappet adjusters (so they are all lose)

Undo all the head bolts..
undo the 5 bolts that are on the valve pedestals 3 of them are the ones with the studs that secure the rocker cover on.
Now what i do is put the rocker cover on upside down using the three studs again and do them up finger tight I will them lift the cover and rocker assembly off in one. And also acts as a stand when you put it down.

The head is cast iron (as you'll find out when you lift it) So this short time with only a few out wouldn't effect it.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline landykins

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 15:10:08 »
Thanks for the info ,Ill go and give it a go !

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 16:12:57 »
You dont have to loosen the head bolts order, its the tightening on refitting that counts ;)

Dont forget the smaller 1/2" (I believe) bolts on the top of the rockers too

A habit I do also is to keep the push rods in the same order for refitting
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline johnpirate

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:15:49 »
When you take it off .Turn the rocker cover upside down and use the bolts to fasten it to the rocker shaft .Its sounds silly but when you lift it off the engine it will stop the shaft springing apart as you lift it. You can end up with springs and bits everywhere. :lol: and trying to remember the order is murder.
1996 Defender 300Tdi Truck cab Ifor Williams top
1955 Austin Champ Rolls Royce power!!     
1955 BSA Bantam 125cc                                        
If you cant fix it with Duct tape you havent used enough duct tape.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal