AuthorTopic: How to wire a removable winch - front and rear?  (Read 339 times)

Offline JDB

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
How to wire a removable winch - front and rear?
« on: January 09, 2008, 06:42:12 »
Anyone done the above - and if so what lessons did you learn and how would you do it again?

I am using US Class III receivers at both end, with the winch on a removable mount, I intend to wire the solenoid in and fix it to the mount (any recommendations on a waterpoof box - Maplin seemed to be a good starting point??), then only having a anderson type plug to attach to the vehicle.

So I think I need a run of 35mm sq welding cable from the front to the back with an anderson receiver on the end - where do I put it? do I waterproof it?

At the front I thought of dropping a very short cable out through the grill and again putting a waterproof cap on it again?

Inside the engine bay - going for dual batteries - (any pics of mounting second one in a Disco 1 appreciated), with a split charge system, and then wiring the winch direct (with a cut out) to the auxiliary battery.

What have I missed?

Any pics or descriptions of where to mount rear cables appreciated, and I was intending to tie wrap it to the inside of chassis structure?

Where's the cheapest place to get welding cable and anderson connectors?

Thanks in advance

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Re: How to wire a removable winch - front and rear?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:56:54 »
I would use 50mmsq cable for the winch wires.  Make sure the -'ve feeds to the battery not the chassis.  You should have an isolator on both front & rear feeds.
If you use ALBRIGHT contactors instead of solenoids they are waterproof.
Connection trough an Anderson plug should be ok.  Again no need to waterproof it...you will also have the ability to connect jump leads through the front & rear anderson plugs.
I would mount the anderson plugs out of harms way...not tie wrapped to the chassis...i.e screwed to the rear x member or body work at rear.
I buy most of my 4x4 gear from HERE  :afro:

Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline JDB

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 17:36:29 »
Thanks - 50mm sq sounds serious stuff - but I presume the voltage drop is therefore minimal.
Have an allbright and was proposing to use it.

Offline NIVAD

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 20:08:01 »
I used 175A anderson plugs-cant remember cable size except it  was identicle to standard winch cable.

I mounted a socket on a plate above battery and then had my winch with small lead and plug and an extension lead to connect all up.

Im putting anderson sockets under my other 4x4 so only need one winch..
CHEERS Paul....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal