AuthorTopic: Engine running help needed  (Read 338 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Engine running help needed
« on: January 06, 2008, 20:59:30 »
Today it was cold when I started the disco up. It took alot of turning over but eventually it fired up. If I revved it, it revved ok then dropped to 250rpm and took forever and a day to pick the revs back up again. about 30 seconds before the revvs went up with foot stamped on loud pedal. I set off on my journey and got to the end of my road which is on a slight hill. revs dropped to 250rpm, took ages to build back up then as revs were on way back down again I had to dump it into Drive and just stomp the loud pedal.

I did put in 15L of diesel into my 20L diesel tank. I am guessing some of this has veg oil in. Probably 50/50mix by then? Stab in the dark guess. As soon as the engine got hot and I went to veg oil all was cured.

This to me says 2 things. May mean more. Insert your comments but mine are....

1 Veg oil / diesel mix in cold the engine didnt like it so struggled to do anything useful.
2 My cold start system has packed up. In my Rover 620 petrol when the engine is cold it revs 500rpm higher than normal until the engine gets warmish then it drops to normal revs. should a diesel do this too?
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Re: Engine running help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 21:27:51 »
id say it was the veg oil tool thick
other things to cause the symptoms
blocked pick up in tank
blocked fuel filter
or, the green oval on the grill  :evil:

id say its the veg oil too thick, our vans do it at work, we mix ours with a gallon of petrol to a tank full to stop the veg oil from freezing up
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 21:34:05 »
Veg oil don't like cold mornings so will be the heart of your problem...unless you have an inline fuel heater...pugeot have fuel heaters in there fuel filter, a good mod  ;)  You will need to run 50/50 derv/veg max or higher derv mix to improve this. 
If you have been running veg oil for a while chances are your fuel filter will need changing to as the veg oil cleans the tank & fuel lines out  ;)
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 11:13:17 »
Agree with the above, with nothing to add other than, No, diesels dont normaly run at fast idle when warming up - tick-over is tick-over on a diesel......
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 17:24:54 »
So it seems like the fuel /oil mix got too high in my secondary boot tank. I filled it up with derv yesterday and it started and ran fine today.

As someone above said, it could also be the green oval on the front grill :D
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal