AuthorTopic: From bad to worst.  (Read 461 times)

Offline sas pinkie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
From bad to worst.
« on: January 02, 2008, 16:39:20 »
Oh dear oh dear. LAst night my bottom hose blew off of the raditator. this is about 5 weeks after my top hose has blown a hole, so everyone suspects a head gasket, or worst but they suggest more likley, a cracked cylinder head as the head gasket was only changed about 20 tousand miles ago.......

So, I have phoned round and it looks like I am lookin at about £850 pounds for labour and £1200 ish for a new cylinder head plus whatever the gaskets are gonna cost....

What is involved in changing the cylinder head on a td5, (last one I did was on a 2.5na diesel). the other thing I have been thinkin is the landy is on 186,000 miles. is it worth it as I have seen advertised on Ebay recon Td5 engines advertised at around £2200. Any thoughts on these engines, and is it gonna be easier for me to change the engine myself (any pitfalls on a Td5) to look out for, or would I be better off just biting the bullet and payin out for someone to change the head.......

The last thought  I suspect is just a stupid one but I will air it now any way, when I was lookin for a 110 I really wanted a 300tdi, but found all the ones I looked at were in worst state and the same sort of money, if not more, than the early Td5, so I bout this instead. Would it be poss, and cheaper to retro fit a 300tdi or am I just being silly.....

All help and thoughts appreciated......

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Re: From bad to worst.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 17:19:37 »
Sounds to me like you've done well to get to 186K!  I had a bill in excess of 3 grand for a new head & ancillary bits a few thousand miles back, and mine's only done 90K.  I can see why you're questioning whether it's worth it.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
Re: From bad to worst.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 18:56:02 »
If you go for the engine swap, you will either need to use the original injectors (in the same cylinder order), or if you use the injectors that come with the new/used lump then you'll need someone with a Rovacom or Nanocom to recode the injectors to the ECU.

I do know of a Td5 head with about 41k on it that is up for grabs - not sure of the price yet, PM me if you're interested.

Jim
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal