AuthorTopic: replacing turbo  (Read 337 times)

Offline ross501

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
replacing turbo
« on: December 31, 2007, 16:27:15 »
had my turbo fail over xmas have ordered a new unit do they come with manifolds or will i get just the turbo

as this failed will it have done any other damage to the engine is there anything i should do
there was a lot of smoke out the exhaust and lots of revs when it went

Offline windowlicker

Attack Member
Re: replacing turbo
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 11:19:20 »
ive never had to replace a turbo on a landrover yet (touch wood) but i would clean out all the pipes and steam clean or use a solvent cleaner in the intercooler making sure theres no little bits left in there also make sure that nothing has made its way back towards the valves and all should be ok

im pretty sure that if its a 300tdi nothing will make its way back to the valves as the turbo is bellow but i thought the 200tdi turbos sat above the manifold which i would imagine make the chances higher with a bit of luck someone here who has experianced this will answer.

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 12:16:26 »
i take it that the oil seals failed ? causing it to dump oil into the exhaust casuing alot of smoke ?
take the top intercooler hose of and make sure it hasnt dumped any oil into the inlet side of things, last thing you want is for the engine to run on its own oil and go bang unless you quick enough to stall the engine

the new turbo unit will not come with any manifold's, nor oil feed and return lines, you will re-use your old ones
( have fun with the manidold off the back of the turbo btw  ;) )
if you have tweaked your old turbo, dont tweak this one as the warrenty will be void, altho i didnt care about the warrenty with my new turbo, just took it out of the box and opend it up  :twisted: :twisted: its amazing what pressure a brand new turbo will pump out aswel  :shock: :shock:

only real thing i can say is make sure there isnt any oil in the inlet side of things

dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline ross501

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 12:19:25 »
it did start to run on the oil but i  stalled it  have cleaned all the intercooler out and the pipes they are currently drying on the radiator 

Offline way2deep

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 13:46:20 »
funny enough mine let go just before xmas too but luckily i got a spare one .....took ages to  clear the exhaust of oil causing a blue smoke trail for about 10 mins ,but don't dispair it will clear :D
robbie
200 tdi rangie  1989  4dr

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal