AuthorTopic: Rear door malfunction  (Read 338 times)

Offline Chris Putt

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rear door malfunction
« on: December 27, 2007, 23:54:18 »
hi All

My n/s/r door is malfunctioning since I kicked a supposed 'mate' out of it for being an idiot the other day.

Kicked him out and drove off, next thing I know, stopped at traffic lights, doors locked hes jumped on the side of the disco and is hanging off the roof rails yanking the door handle and kicking the door bottom..

Eventually let him in to prevent further damage.

Door no longer works. And has a slight dent and a reasonable size scratch below the trim line.

Hacked off doesnt even begin to cover it.

On the plus side I have got a mechanic mate to write him an invoice for £100 to sort it.

Anyone got any ideas on a fix, I have no idea what to look for having not taken a door apart before, its a job for later this week!

Any advice ideas gratefully accepted!

Chris
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Rear door malfunction
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 00:17:12 »
sounds like a plug has come out or somthing earthing that shouldn't just pull the trim off and have a look and you may be able to just push the dent out .

I take it your mates walking from now on :twisted:
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Rear door malfunction
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:24:55 »
I'm assuming you mean that the handles aren't opening the door? If so, it's likely that he broke or disengaged some part of the mechanism. Assuming the door isn't actually bent and the hinges aren't twisted (If you look along the side does everything line up?) then it's most likely some small linkage or other inside.

If the door is bent then you're probably best off getting hold of a new one, although I would suspect that the hinges would bend before the door itself - one of mine had a Mercedes door slammed into it by some kid who clearly didn't care about their surroundings, there wasn't even a scuff when I checked!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
Rear door malfunction
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 11:52:49 »
First thing to check would be the lock pull, if it opens whilst you are pulling up on the lock pull simultaneously then it's the little spring inside the latch mechanism that has broken.  You can get the spring kit from eBay, it is a bit of a pig to do, I recommend having a digital camera so you can take pictures of the very complicated setup of rods etc as you take it apart, and also have some of those reds plastic trim clips as most will break when you take the card off.

If it won't open regardless then you'll probably still need to get the door card off anyway and have a look at it...to be honest I'm surprised it's broken, the things are designed to be able to withstand an accident and still get the door open.

Some "mate"...
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal