AuthorTopic: another backfireing V8  (Read 1439 times)

anaxemurderer

another backfireing V8
« on: December 22, 2007, 17:09:06 »
Have some problems with my rrc, its got a 3.5 on twin su's and was rebuilt approximately 2500 miles ago.

Has been running well but is now suffering from loss of power. Backfires quite alot, on gear changes and at high revs. Has been developing for a little while, was always worse on the way home (i guess cause its thoroughly warm and no longer in low box).

We were pretty much thinking ignition timing? Which we will get checked out properly.

Noticed today that the earth strap to the coil was very loose. What could this have done to the coil (i've fixed it now).

Any advice welcome!

Nick

ps seasons greetings!

ben_haynes

another backfireing V8
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 18:14:28 »
It could be Ignition timing but could also be a bent or twisted Distributor, a friend had one that had similar Faults

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
another backfireing V8
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 13:35:30 »
Worse when it's warm, hmmm.

Could be fuel mixture but I'd start with the plugs, get them out and look at them, they could be overheating (lean mix).

The earth lead to the coil, you don't mean the one that goes to the dizzy do you? coils are switched on the negative side, the positive is always connected when the ignition is on.  If you mean that wire then there you go, the ignition is being distrupted and the engine moving around as you come off the gas could be enough.

If you mean earth strap to the engine then it's still worth fixing, I have 3 on Blue :wink:  they are important.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

anaxemurderer

another backfireing V8
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 18:30:05 »
Will take plugs out tomorrow, have a sneaky peak. Always seems to have been running a bit rich, its due some tlc so proper carb adjustment might be in order.

No i mean the earth strap to the engine (which goes through a little black box - ballast resistor?). I have fixed it anyhow. Don't understand what it does, its on the same terminal as power in from battery/alternator?

Nick

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
another backfireing V8
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 16:10:52 »
Sounds like a supressor, does your radio whine more than it used to?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

anaxemurderer

Re: another backfireing V8
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 15:58:08 »
Mechanic guy i was talking to thought it could be the carbs freezing up. It doesn't have a pipe from exhaust manifold to help warm the intake air.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal