AuthorTopic: V8 stalling  (Read 458 times)

Offline JumboBeef

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8 stalling
« on: December 17, 2007, 07:53:02 »
Hello all,

My 110 V8 isn't used a lot (couple of times a week) and lives under cover, in an open fronted barn-type thing.

It always starts first turn and runs great.

Last week, I took it out to a village about 10 miles away.  First few miles were fine but then it would start to stall on gear changes.  With the power on, there was no problem.  However, by the time I got to the village, it was fine, and would tick over on idle.

Came home, put it away, thinking all was well.

Yesterday, I took it out again, and the same thing happened.  First few miles were fine, but then stalling on gear changes, plus now a new problem: when I lift off the power and use engine braking, I get a backfire.

Again, the problem cleared itself. Also, the engine runs fine when you have the power on, no misfires or anything.

Any ideas?  Is it the plugs, leads or something else?

Cheers.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE V8 auto on LPG, time warp!

Offline iomlr

Attack Member
V8 stalling
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:05:40 »
if you havent "serviced it" (plugs leads dizycap, dizzy arm) always worth doing. I have a simular situation at present and i'm 100% sure its to do with the Dizzy cap. plus i havent changed my Ht leads for a couple of years now so they'll be getting done. Possible Amplifer and coil problem also.

Always start with the basics on a V8, well works for me :)
Bobtail Range Rover 300tdi Manual
Body lifted, Gywn Lewis Challenge Suspension. Mach 5's with Jungle trekker Tyres ARB Locking Diffs Front and Rear. Steering Guard and Axel / Track Rod Guard. Modified bumpers front and rear Custome Rock sliders. Roccia Comp Arches,  Eleci Fans with X switch.

V8 90 County Defender. Rebuilt with galvanised chassi and bulkhead, Tubular sports manifodls and sports pipe. Old Man Emu suspension, under axel guard. BFGoodrich Muds on Mods.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
V8 stalling
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 14:20:15 »
Backfire? sounds like timing.  Dizzy advance stuck perhaps or dizzy slipping.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal