AuthorTopic: Mobile phones  (Read 1680 times)

Offline turtle

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Mobile phones
« on: November 05, 2003, 08:46:29 »
Please take note...

If you receive a text message on your mobile from the number 15477 Indicating that you have won a 2 night stay in the Druid's
Marriott in Wicklow, saying that they you must reply with the text "#90" or "#09", You should delete this text immediately and not reply.
This is a fraud Company using a device, that once you press #90 or #09 and reply text, they can access your "SIM" card and make calls at your expense.

Offline orlando

Attack Member
Mobile phones
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 10:07:07 »
Sorry to ruin you fun folks - but it's an email hoax. Actually quite an old on at that; origionating in Sweden as the "ERICELL enginer hoax" or "DIGIPHONE hoax"

This is an English translation of a Swedish hoax about someone posing as telecom engineer. But UK versions have been updated with other sources.

The fraud described in the message below is not possible.

"SUBJECT : Warning THIS IS NOT A WIND UP (MOBILE PHONE SCAM)

All if anyone RECEIVES a call on your mobile phone from an ERICELL or DIGIPHONE ENGINEER telling you that they are doing a check on your mobile phone / network and they ask you to press # 90 or # 09 please hand up immediately THIS IS A FRAUD.

These people have a piece of kit that allows them to access your SIM CARD on air if you key in either of the two number above. They could make calls at your expense please pass the warning on to anyone else who has a mobile phone."

Ignore this hoax warning and do not pass it on.
I'm working on it.

Offline turtle

Attack Member
Mobile phones
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 11:19:36 »
Thanks for the update. I'm glad it is only a hoax.

The above has been circulating on e-mail for the last couple of days.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Mobile phones
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 23:07:24 »
Not exactly on the same vein, but whilst mobile phones are being discussed.

Does anyone have the Nokia5210 -think that's the model-, it's the one in an interchangeable rubber casing.

Is it any good, or too gadget laden to be a sensible buy (sadly it's got a camera, am I right?)

I've dropped the 3310  too many times, so considering a swap.

Not really interested in signing up to a contract, as (on O2 pay-as-you-go) I've used less than £15 in about 18/19months.

Anybody know a price, please, so I can go shopping/comparing
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

ChrisW

Mobile phones
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 09:52:23 »
My other half's got a 5210, hers hasn't got a camera, not sure if any of the 5210's have them.
Its good because she seems to have a habit of dropping it and the case takes the brunt of the shocks, splashproof etc.
Only thing I don't like about it is its just a bit too small, sometimes a bit fiddly pressing buttons if you've got big digits as you can end up pressing the adjacent button not the one you want.

It has a din socket for an in your ear hands free jobby so I don't think you would be able to get a 'proper' fixed hands free kit for it.

Other than that its reasonably functional and does what she needs it to.

Chris

Offline Donald the Disco

Attack Member
Mobile phones
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 23:32:17 »
Nokia 5210

We have them issued to us at work.  I hate it......Give me a 3310 anyday

- points /     Small  fiddley buttons, terrible sound quality,  Seems to very quickly drain the battery,

+ points  /    Rubber case is good,  I dropped my from the top of a  9 foot skip, which was on the back of the skip lorry, total height of around 16 feet
It hit the concrete pad outside our workshops, bounced 3 or 4 times,
and landed in a puddle,  by the time I had climbed down of the lorry it had had a good soaking,

Bloody thing still works now 8 months on.
rumour is,  that we are getting the next new nokia's,  because we have moaned about the sound quality so often.......Important in our work, as we can get the right address for the skip.
Paul

"DONALD THE DISCO" 1994 Tdi ES (The off road toy) RIP

"ANNIE"  1998 Tdi  50th Ltd Edt (The posh motor)

"JOE"  1994 defender 90 truckcab

www.glass-uk.org
www.Defender50th.co.uk

International Sheep Dog Society member

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Mobile phones
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 16:16:30 »
Thanks Gents,
The bro-in-law has one as well for his BT installation engineers job, he's never mentioned the sound quality.
I'll look into it.
I just thought I'd seen it listed as having one of those silly cameras on www.nokia.com

Battery life hasn't been an issue for about 18 months with the 3310, as I bought a Lithium off a stall on Leeds market. It must be one of the best accessories going for a phone.
Prior to that it was the usual case of almost flattening it, top-up charging didn't last.

Have to go to one of the many phone shops in Wakefield & have a good look.
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal