AuthorTopic: Heater fan motor  (Read 622 times)

Offline Bobtail

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Heater fan motor
« on: November 12, 2007, 19:00:50 »
I NEED to change my heater fan motor (wish i'd done this in the summer)

Has any one changed one on a 89 Rangie?

What do i have to take out to get to it?

How long did it take you?

Is it a one man job or will i need two pairs?

Cheers

Jim
200 TDI Range Rover Classiic

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
Heater fan motor
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 20:27:24 »
Horrible job, will take the best part of a day to get the job done....

You need to remove:

Centre console, all switches/lamps (careful of the heater control lighting), wooden/plastic trim along the front of the dash, the AC cover under the left of the dash (or whatever is there if it is not AC), loosen the top of the dashboard, unbolt heater assembly (nuts are right on the bulkhead), disconnect heater hoses, and sort of man-handle the heater unit out, while cursing at the dashboard trying to spring down on you all the time.

Take 20 minutes to apply elastoplast to fingers, then:

Remove all clips from the heater assembly, disconnect the various linkages from the heater to the various flaps etc, split the heater in two, unbolt/screw the motor, and remove, replace with new one -drip or two of oil on the bearings if possible beforehand.

Put it all back together -being VERY careful of all the flimsy linkages, otherwise you will end up with a heater that doesn, for example, heat your toes, but is great at demisting the windscreen!

Refit heater box under the dash, and go about putting the rest of it back together...

come to think of it, I took about another two hours the next day replacing screws that I had put back in the wrong place.....

I don't envy you at all....

Bowie.
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline Rainbird

Attack Member
Heater fan motor
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 17:13:03 »
Sounds about par for the course when I did mine.  I had also to take out the cubby box and gear lever surround to get the motor assembly out.  

I'd seriously recommend changing the heater matrix if it looks at all rough at the same time to save you having to get it all apart again!

I took about a day on mine, but it was in the summer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal