AuthorTopic: Is this a wind up?  (Read 3476 times)

Offline 3laner

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Is this a wind up?
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:21:26 »
http://www.nationalsmokingday.com/

The government have decided to stop trying to control us all for one day and allow you, the Great British Public, to smoke anywhere you choose

Surely must be!
1994 300 tdi Defender-SOLD
2002 TD5 Defender 90 Monte Carlo Blue: IRB stage 2 tuned and intercooled-SOLD
2005 Golf GTi 200- Landyless :(

ON THE LOOK OUT FOR MY NEXT 4x4
www.irbdevelopments.com

littlepow

Is this a wind up?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:34:36 »
Would take it as a prank. Think someone is trying to get away with smoking at there new year party.

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 13:44:08 »
did anyone see the news when a pub in blackpool got done for allowing smokers to light up...

and one guy came from nottingham just so he could have a pint and a fag!

hmmmm

Offline graham

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 16:02:13 »
Yep saw that on the news was thinking of going over for a pint and a fag  :D

Was over in Portugal this year can still smoke and in Poland a couple of weeks ago same there.  :D

Should of been a compromise on that, there was never a complete ban in the Labour manifesto until the spin doctors got hold of it  :evil:
Nissan Terrano
Land Rover Lightweight
ex TD5 Discovery &
RR classic owner

Offline wellieboot

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 17:23:42 »
In a word - yes.

Defo a wind up.

Quote from: "graham"

Should of been a compromise on that, there was never a complete ban in the Labour manifesto until the spin doctors got hold of it  :evil:

I agree with this, although smoke in pubs is (was!) a pet hate of mine, why not just create a well cordoned-off area where puffers could imbibe? I can have a haze free pint, they can have a smoke and a cough - everyones a winner.

Whilst I can understand the arguement that it's someones right to enjoy a ciggie with thier pint, surely it's also my right to enjoy a pint minus thier ciggie? I say it is, but the total banning was a bit draconian. Other solutions could have been found (okay, they may have cost the pub a few quid to set up, but better that than have them go out of business!)

I'm rambling again! :lol:  

toodles
Boots
I can see tomorrow, I can see the world to come
I can see tomorrow, hear the pandemonium

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 18:18:53 »
There was something on the local news a couple of weeks ago about a pub where people had been smoking outside, but the neighbours had complained about the smell of smoke drifting across their gardens  :roll:

Now, I'm not a great fan of second hand smoke myself, but for goodness sake! Some people need to get a life!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Smego

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 18:34:27 »
Anyone smokes near me indoors will get a smack in the mouth!
Nissan Patrol GR LWB and a 3rd Gen Surf for fun...

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:46:51 »
So a well cordened off area in a pub is a good idea...? What about the rights of workers not to work in a smoke polluted atmosphere...?

:roll:

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:09:11 »
In my experience many bar workers smoke themselves anyway.

Personally I think they should have let market forces sort it out. If there is a true demand for smoke free pubs then the market would have provided them as it was starting to and likewise if there is a true demand for smoking pubs the market would have kept them or had separate rooms etc. Staff would be free to choose to work at whichever type they wish but there would have to be some protection for them so that if you started working for a smoke free place it couldn't suddenly change to smoking unless the staff agreed - too late now...never mind I gave up almost 12 months ago.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline wellieboot

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:29:29 »
Quote from: "Skibum346"
So a well cordened off area in a pub is a good idea...? What about the rights of workers not to work in a smoke polluted atmosphere...?

To answer (in a more polite style than the question was asked  :wink: ), I've seen ale-houses overseas where smokers had their own petitioned areas (typically double glazed), seperate from, but looking into, the bar. No smoke in the bar - cozy snug for smokers. The way forward. Bar staff don't get smoked out, the smokers have their own parties. Quite often being joined by non-smokers because they appreared to be having a good time!

So yes, a well cordoned off area is a good idea, IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Toodles
Boots

littlepow

Is this a wind up?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:53:44 »
Just ban smoking!

Might as well take cynide, if you want to kill yourselves slowly. Least that way you'll cost the NHS less money.

Offline Welshbreed

Attack Member
  • Motorsport Service & Repair Level 3 Technician
    • @MrSmeeZus
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:55:12 »
if any one's been in tiger tiger in cardiff, they'll see two glass rooms (one down stairs, one upstairs) surounded by plastic plants, these were entirly cordend off from the rest of the building, and had 2 small extractor on the ceiling. There was a glass door, which would be closed at all times, and these have now become private party rooms, thanks to the new laws.

Personally I dont smoke, but I never minded people smoking, I remember when I was a child, walking into a pub or two with my farther and there'd be smoke everywhere. But then this was a dock yard pub, and everyone in there (bar me and a few other kiddos) smoked, mostly cigars and the like, but you kinda get used to it IMO.

Now you walk into a bar (ouch! :roll: ) it's not the same setting

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 13:49:17 »
Quote from: "littlepow"
Just ban smoking!

Might as well take cynide, if you want to kill yourselves slowly. Least that way you'll cost the NHS less money.

Certainly at one point smoking contributed more to the economy than the health service took out.  

Must go and find if that still holds true. Then I wonder how it works for alcohol related illnesses too? Intrigued!

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 14:22:45 »
My local went non smoking 18 months before the ban came in and became more packed than it ever did as a smoking pub - still is. Pubs seem to be more crowded generally now with the ban in force.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline wellieboot

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 14:36:14 »
From reading other forums and looking in the media, the situation above seems to be an exception to the popular rule, with plenty of pubs claiming huge falls in income as a result. I'll be honest, I've not been in a bar in this country sinse the ban came in, so I couldn't say from experience.

Can anyone one else comment on the situation - I'm very aware I've limited experience in this area currently! I wouldn't want to cast doubt on the post if I'm wrong.

Certainly when I read about the closure of small locals it makes me feel wary. Could the British pub be going the same way as the local shop? You know, a few big chains placing larger, faceless, less freindly establishments (like that isn't already happening with chain-pubs) that we all need to drive too etc and where they can dictate/engineer the price we pay for beer. Then what happens to the smaller, regional and micro-breweries and cider houses? They get squeezed on price until only the major brands can supply the usual 'mass-beers'.  :sobsob:

........my signature suddenly seems quite plausible!  :lol:

More rambles!

toodles
Boots

Offline wingman

Attack Member
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 14:40:28 »
Quote from: "sptb"
Personally I think they should have let market forces sort it out. If there is a true demand for smoke free pubs then the market would have provided them as it was starting to and likewise if there is a true demand for smoking pubs the market would have kept them or had separate rooms etc.

Well, market forces DID sort it out, with the result that there were very few non-smoking pubs.  Which, as a non-smoker, was a right pain.  There's nothing worse than trying to eat a meal when the person next to you is blowing smoke in your face.

From a purely selfish point of view I'm very glad the nanny state intervened in this one and went against the drinking habits of the British public so that I can now go and enjoy a pint without coming home stinking of fags.

I've spent way more time and money in pubs since the ban than I did in the year before it.

Offline Welshbreed

Attack Member
  • Motorsport Service & Repair Level 3 Technician
    • @MrSmeeZus
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 16:25:49 »
A lot of the pubs are closing down where I come from, but some are still smoking, when just the regulars are in, which says it all IMO. not telling you which ones though

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 16:49:02 »
Quote from: "littlepow"
Just ban smoking!

Well on that thought we ought to add hugh tax to sporting goods, Tax horse riders, bicycles, pedestrians, in case they have an accident

Best also put more tax on beer, wine and spirits  :wink:

Best also legalise drugs and tax them too :wink:  If they need treatment for an O/D then it will balance the accounts better.

Where do you draw the line?? If you want to be picky you could add to the above  8)

By the time I die of Cyanide poisoning I will hae paid enough to cover my bill  :wink:  can you say if you break your leg that you have contributed enough??

Steve
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
Is this a wind up?
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 23:20:23 »
............think its time to go outside for a cig ;)

personally i havent really been in a pub/club since the ban, but i understand that the smell has changed... .the "pub smell" is now sweat, vomit and stale ale....

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal