AuthorTopic: Maverick UJ Replacement  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Whatmot

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
  • Referrals: 0
Maverick UJ Replacement
« on: November 07, 2007, 14:43:17 »
i went to look at a maverick yesterday. it was a really tidy car, '98, 90K, swb 2.7TD. i took it for a test drive and knew instantly something was wrong. theres was a knocking noise coming from the rear prop. i said to my dad who was also in the car it sounded like the UJ, he said exactly the same because hes just had one replaced on his ldv cub (re badged nissan). on further inspection, the UJ is shot, good job the owner never took it on the motorway, god only knows how that might have ended.

anyway, when my dads ldv uj went, he asked nissan to quote a price for a new one, however nissan couldnt sell him just a uj they would have to sell him an entire propshaft for £500!!

i phoned up for local ford dealership today to get a quote for a new uj, but again they couldnt sell me a uj by itself, i would have to buy a whole proshaft for just over £500!!

im not bothered about that price at the moment because i still havent brought the car so hopefully ill be able to get the ford price of a prop knocked off the asking price, however what is bugging me is ive seen replacement uj's on milner and ebay for £15 and £30 respectively.

does anyone know if it is possible to change just the uj and whether it can be done by the 'home mechanic'?

any help appreciated, thanks tom
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
Maverick UJ Replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 18:54:21 »
I'm unsure but i'll check my manual to find out for you & get back with the info :D There has been a few props on ebay for sale lately & going for not that much so it may be worth having a look
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
Maverick UJ Replacement
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 19:24:04 »
thanks

the only problem with buying a second hand one, is you dont know what sort of mileage it has done. the last thing i want is for a uj to fail again
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
Maverick UJ Replacement
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 20:02:46 »
Hi whatmot :D I've just had a look & it looks as it's all one part :shock: Sorry for not being much help :oops: If you do go for it I would join the nissan & ford mavericks owners club as someone on there will no dout have a fix for this or know if & where you can get a new UJ

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
Maverick UJ Replacement
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 20:11:38 »
well i know someone who can fix it, they fixed my dads one for under £100, i just wondered whether it was possible for myself to do it

if all goes well i should have the car by friday, got to get the uj fixed (obviously), give the car a service and then start looking at mods, although from first looks they are quite limited.

ill look into joining the maverick&terrano club, i think i would be a good choice even if you do have to pay
Tom aka Whatmot

'98 Ford Maverick

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
Maverick UJ Replacement
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 20:47:27 »
Joining the club has saved me quiet a few pounds on repaires & has been the best £10 i've spent :D As for mods there is'nt load off the shelf & the likes of winch bumpers have to come from the likes of spain etc & can cost a bit :lol: As it's SWB you can get the suspension lifted 1&1/2" for not much cash :D

Disco 2 V8 powered

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal