AuthorTopic: Always the way!!!  (Read 1026 times)

Offline lampyrover31

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Always the way!!!
« on: November 06, 2007, 21:25:06 »
Ola,
 Well i thought i would take the series 3 to the MOT station to see what other things i needed to fix,so i booked it in for yesterday morning.

That where it all went wrong,i tried to start it and much to my daughters amusment(she was off scholl ill)a big puff of smoke and a burning smell from by the battery and nothing from the engine!Tried again and this time when i turned the ignition off the smoke carried on so i went running with a spanner to disconnect the battery.It appears there is a live feed going towards the horn which i must have knocked when putting the battery in!Looks like a re wire at the front now as well.

Oh i thought seeing as i cant make it to the test station i will take the rear tyre to put some air in it.It was then i noticed the rear cylinder was dripping fluid :( another job for the list.
Never mind i did get my daughter to put the wheel nuts on for me :lol: well she is only 4 and alot closer to them than me!
K Reg disco! 5 door and a big smile on my face!

Offline Artwigwa

Attack Member
Always the way!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 15:33:16 »
I've had days like that  :roll:  I think it's a series thing!  :lol:

Guardian.

Always the way!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 16:38:01 »
STANDARD LANDROVER PRACTICE, SERIES HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT, ALL OF THEM ARE THE SAME. :lol:

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
Always the way!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 10:54:42 »
sounds like the week I've had.
Started last Friday;
Changed the brake master cylinder, as the brakes kept going spongey, followed by bleeding the brakes (got a really firm peddle).

(worked over the weekend)

Mon.  
Then I thought I'd fit the new rear drums and shoes I've had kicking round the shed for a while, whilst doing that I found a seized slave cylinder, best change that then, a trip to paddocks later to get a new cylinder and some other bits.  Can't get the union out of seized cylinder so I had to try undoing the pipe to it from the 't' piece on the axle, wouldn't undo, ok, undo it from the other cylinder, snap, pipe shears off.

Tues.
Eventually get new copper pipe made up and fit it by which time it's dark and raining.

Wed.
Bleed brakes once again. go for a drive to see how they are, the brakes bind on.  Get home, strip the drums off and everything looks right, change the return spring just in case, put it back together and go for a MOT, everything seems fine till I get to the station and I notice the side light's gone out. sort that and go to get an mot, the guy pulls away and the brakes bind again, decide not to bother with the test. The MOT guys suggest it might be the flexi hose collapsed. Its dark and raining again by now.

Thurs
I wasn't happy with a few other things on it so a trip to Paddocks got me a new set of flexi hoses a new sidelight and a replacement bump stop for the one that was missing and much ribbing by Bob.

Fit the rear flexi hose and whilst the brakes are bleeding (vacuum brake bleeder thingys are great) I fit the side light. Finish the brakes, firm paeddle once again, and go to fit the bump stop.  Grind of the old securing nuts and find the mounting bracket is rotten. poke around a bit more and put a hole in the side of the chassis.  fix that and make up a new bracket. fit the bump stop, go out for a drive to see if the brakes work, get 30 yards down the road, BANG, no drive, half shaft thinks me, but by now it's getting dark and strting to rain. back tot eh driveway in 4wd with some nasty noises from the back end.

Fri.
Find it wasn't the halfshafts it was the diff, take it apart and find bits of gear tooth floating about, still haven't found where they're from though.  Strip down the front axle on the scrap 88, I've already had the rear diff from it, and fit the diff in the 'working' (:LOL:) landy. on the plus side I've worked out the problem withthe brakes, it was the master cylinder, I'd not adjusted it quite right and it wasn't letting fluid back out  :roll: by the time I'd done that it was getting dark again.
back where I was last Friday with squidgy brakes.

Sat.

Bleed brakes again, get to the last wheel, and find a hole in the front chassis rail, spend rest of the day fixing it with the car under a big tarp on the drive.

I need a garage.

I've not even looked at it today.  One thing I am greatful for is that i had a week of working nights so I could spend the days sorting the landy and that the weather was relatively kind to me.

Still not got it MOT'd though, lucky it doesn't run out till the 8th.

Chris

Offline lampyrover31

Attack Member
Always the way!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 22:51:06 »
Ola,
 What a great week for all that to happen!!! It never rains but i pours so to speak :lol:
 The trouble is now i have changed jobs and am really busy so i wont get to have time to start fixing it until christmas week when it will be either really wet or cold or knowing my luck both!

Just out of interest did you get girling slave cylinder or cheaper britpart version? as i need to get 1 (well going to replace both back ones now)but alot of people have advised against the cheaper ones.

Cheers
Baz
K Reg disco! 5 door and a big smile on my face!

Guardian.

Always the way!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 23:02:04 »
i would definately get a genuine one, im sick off britpart crap, will not buy any of it ever again, its just false economy, and often no cheaper than its genuine counterpart, and definately crap quality, said for the stuff ive had anyhow, and it was quite a bit.

Offline ukmudmaster

Attack Member
    • Billericay Essex
Re: Always the way!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 20:51:35 »
Agree with Guardian, stick to branded stuff, especially safety related bits, brakes and steering etc. Often OEM parts are not much more, and better quality,
Dave
Range Rover Classic EFI auto, 3.9 V8 Offroader, 300 Tdi Auto greenlaner.
axledeep@googlemail.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal