AuthorTopic: 'Missing' Turbo  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Evilgoat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
'Missing' Turbo
« on: October 21, 2007, 20:37:53 »
Yesterday I did a long distance run, all  throughout the run the car didnt 'feel' right. Driving it totday I realised that I dont apear to have a tubro anymore. When pulling away I was waiting for the kick as the turbo came in and nothing. Windows down, no turbo whine from the holy exhaust, there was.

Had the hose off the front, turbo is free to spin. Wastegate is free to move and is returning correctly. Running it without the intake hose and its audible. All seems well but I just cant feel it kick in, which suggests to me theres no fuel boost going on. I cant actually get the wategate to actuate by pressurising the system (Inlet hose to plenum chamber, removed clamped and reved) so I'm open to there being an air leak someplace. I HAVE just changed the fuel filter and I'm sure I've felt her 'hunting' when on the road last night.

Any ideas?
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 20:41:54 »
Split intercooler pipes or hole in intercooler?
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 20:43:28 »
Quote from: "L90OOK"
Split intercooler pipe or hole in intercooler?

Maintianing pressure ok, went right for the bottom hose but they are all intact. Nothing delaminated either.

Might get some Silicon hoses when she's sorted though.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 20:49:03 »
Is it smoking more?  Used more fuel than normal on the run?

Offline Bunnie

Attack Member
    • portsmouth
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 22:27:35 »
parently its not smoking but the fuel consumption was crap
Suzuki Vitara (Rabbit)- Alive and well
206cc (Puggy) -Sold Defender Black (mummys 90)
Disco 200tdi (Serenity)- Sold
Audi S2 - Rich's beast
Audi 100 - The work horse
Sapphire the Siberian Husky
Skye the Alaskan Marlamute
Devil Ducks (Howard, River & Jayne)

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 18:34:19 »
Found it

£!"£%£$% thing!

Whilst doing the fuel filter I must have moved a hose too far. I'm loosing fuel pressure between the lift pump and fuel filter, hose has failed on the union on the lift pump.

Is it actually possible to do anything on a Disco without breaking something else :( Second time I've been cuaght by a rotten fuel line. I feel I night be ordering up lots of hose on payday and doing all of it.

Candidates for renewal seem to be from the lift pump to the fuel pump and fuel filter. Fuel filter to main pump. Spillways and return lines. Actuator feed for the turbo and fuel pump looks like its made from the same stuff so that can get done too. Guess I should check the servo hose while I'm in there.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Mr Alford

Attack Member
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 22:32:29 »
Quote from: "Evilgoat"
Found it

£!"£%£$% thing!

Whilst doing the fuel filter I must have moved a hose too far. I'm loosing fuel pressure between the lift pump and fuel filter, hose has failed on the union on the lift pump.

Is it actually possible to do anything on a Disco without breaking something else :( Second time I've been cuaght by a rotten fuel line. I feel I night be ordering up lots of hose on payday and doing all of it.

Candidates for renewal seem to be from the lift pump to the fuel pump and fuel filter. Fuel filter to main pump. Spillways and return lines. Actuator feed for the turbo and fuel pump looks like its made from the same stuff so that can get done too. Guess I should check the servo hose while I'm in there.

ye it is possible to fix something on a disco without breaking something else all you have to do is remove everything around it first.....simple

i replaced my clutch master cylinder so then my slave went, i replace my altenator so then my starter broke, i replaced a uj so the other one went and the list goes on and on

the way you have to look at it is you dont buy a landrover if your not prepared to love it and fix it constantly it is not a sound as a pound relibale car from a dealer it should be your love child :roll:

so in the nicest possible way deal with it and enjoy it or sell it and buy a vw passat
James@plymouthoffroad.co.uk     The biggest club in the south west! As featured in Total Offroad this month!

Offline daveyravey

Attack Member
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 22:42:18 »
Quote from: "Mr Alford"
Found it

£!"£%£$% thing!

ye it is possible to fix something on a disco without breaking something else all you have to do is remove everything around it first.....simple

i replaced my clutch master cylinder so then my slave went, i replace my altenator so then my starter broke, i replaced a uj so the other one went and the list goes on and on

the way you have to look at it is you dont buy a landrover if your not prepared to love it and fix it constantly it is not a sound as a pound relibale car from a dealer it should be your love child :roll:

Yip, that sounds about right.
Replaced my alternator 2 weeks ago & the battery failed last wednesday !
New alternator failed on friday night (l/r part)
Still waiting on replacment part from l/r which hopefully arrives tomorrow morning.   :evil:
Landyless

Offline RichardM

Attack Member
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 22:46:34 »
I started off doing a fairly simple, cheap job, replacing my glow plugs but snapped one off.  I ended up taking the cylinder head off to get the snapped bit out and while the head was off I found a knackered rocker shaft and knackered rockers...this job is turning out costing more and taking longer than I planned....
Richard Martin
Cardiff
1994 300Tdi Automatic

Offline Mr Alford

Attack Member
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:09:33 »
Quote from: "RichardM"
I started off doing a fairly simple, cheap job, replacing my glow plugs but snapped one off.  I ended up taking the cylinder head off to get the snapped bit out and while the head was off I found a knackered rocker shaft and knackered rockers...this job is turning out costing more and taking longer than I planned....

but when uve fixed it all again ull love it more than ever and be ready and braced for the next problem :D

i enoy fixing mine its normally cheap easy to work on and everywhere has always got the parts in stock
James@plymouthoffroad.co.uk     The biggest club in the south west! As featured in Total Offroad this month!

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 09:38:20 »
so in the nicest possible way deal with it and enjoy it or sell it and buy a vw passat

Dont let Rob TDi90 hear you.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 10:23:21 »

So what is wrong with Poossats? ...150bhp & 52mpg... 8)  :lol:

Offline Mr Alford

Attack Member
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 17:50:44 »

nothing just a perfect example of sence and sensibility

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
'Missing' Turbo
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 19:39:55 »

His died. Nothing wrong with them, well ok, you could pay a little more and get one thats been built properly (A4) ;)

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal