AuthorTopic: Transmission  (Read 4153 times)

Offline wifey

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Transmission
« on: October 23, 2003, 21:43:34 »
Hi guys.
Can anyone confirm my suspicion please?
I've been having a problem with 2nd gear; if the engine speed isn't exactly right, it makes a grinding noise when I select 2nd. The other gears are fine.
I suppose it feels as though the synchromesh has gone/is going.
I plan to get the whole gearbox checked out and possibly replaced (not necessarilly a new one) before December (when MOT is due), rather than just the mesh - if that's possible - as I have a gut feeling that the latter would only put the problem off for a wee while rather than cure it.
What do you think?
cheers! 8)
tina
Shiny Blue Crew Disco 200 Tdi J236 RVM
as yet unamed (aww!) Defender 90 2.25D E50 KEH
thrive under pressure and seize the day!
www.thriveunderpressure.com

ChrisW

Transmission
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 21:48:53 »
I'd err on the side of agreeing with you. Whats the box like overall? Any sloppiness, slack taking up gear, loud whining (no not hubs!  :P )

Darren Burgess had his box done somewhere, I'm sure he'll be along with the details, from what I remember it was something like done in a day for 750 with a courtesy car... Darren?  :D

Chris

Offline wifey

Attack Member
Transmission
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 21:54:06 »
No, doesn't seem to have any other problems. I wouldn't need a courtesy car as we only use the Disco for off-roading, so it usually sits on the drive until we go to play.
cheers! 8)
tina

ChrisW

Transmission
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 22:02:14 »
Maybe just get it looked over, if its not doing the 'clonk' then a decent look over while replacing the synchromesh and replacing anything else that looks worn.
I seem to recall the clonk is a fault in the transfer box, not having enough oil on the output shaft so this might be worth checking over while the main box is out as well.

All depends on what the cost of replacing/repairing is compared to going the whole hog and having a reconditioned unit I would say.

Chris

Offline wifey

Attack Member
Transmission
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 22:04:26 »
Thanks Chris.
I use a local (ish) bloke who did a good job when my water pump blew after I'd asked him to check out the brakes too, so I trust him.
cheers! 8)
tina

Offline matthew

Attack Member
Transmission
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 22:26:16 »
Considering what a box will cost and how you say you use the car, I'd suggest just living with the poor or non existent synchro. It'll probably carry on for thousands of miles yet, and isn't difficult to do without.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Transmission
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 22:48:24 »
Seems like a bit of a sledgehammer vs. nut to change the whole thing.

Get it all checked over first, there are a couple of thngs it could be...

Sychro Cones
Gear Selector / Gear Lever Assembly (This is especially weak)

If there is no other noise, then the box is probably fundamentally sound... 750 quid is a lot to change a box which may be a 50 quid repair.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal