AuthorTopic: exhaust question  (Read 358 times)

Offline marsie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
exhaust question
« on: September 10, 2007, 00:04:05 »
I recently replaced the center section on my mates 90 50th anniversary 90 with a straight through td5 replacement pipe(twisted performance).Was nearly a direct fit just requiring the front hanger modding
I would like to do the same with my series 1 disco 3.9(1999) and wondered if the center section was the same dimensions as the tdi(if so i can get a direct replacement straight thru tdi section) :?
Cheers
Paul :twisted:

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 18:18:06 »
i would be very surprised but visit exhaust.co.uk they are near meadowhall and will make what you want fairly cheaply...it may make it very noisy though.
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline DEANO3528

Attack Member
exhaust question
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 18:35:20 »
Yes, got a feeling this has been discussed somewhere on here recently.
Most people take out the rear box substituting for a straight pipe or bend to the side. This will make only a very small difference to the noise and no difference to performance as you still have the horrid restrictive front silencer in place. Some go for a front box chop as you mention but this is quite noisy and the resonance inside the rear of the passenger area is enough to give you a headache!
I had this set-up on my pick-up and therefore didn't have any problem with resonance as there was no rear cabin area.
The best way I feel, without spending heaps of dosh on a stainless system is to swap to a single pipe system at the rear and substitute the restritive front box for a second rear box or one off a 90 or whatever. This will give you a far more efficient 'straight through' system which doesn't resonate into the cabin and sounds very nice.
There is a thread on here I replied to, about Disco exhausts, where I posted a sound clip of Shed my 3.5 efi RR fitted with the above style system and side exit.
Ah found it http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=47535 the clip is on page 2 if you're interested.
HTH
Cheers
DEANO

Offline marsie

Attack Member
exhaust question
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 19:50:45 »
Quote from: "Bulli"
i would be very surprised but visit exhaust.co.uk they are near meadowhall and will make what you want fairly cheaply...it may make it very noisy though.

Cheers,my mates 90 is just the same type exhaust as mine i.e cats,1 big center box,one small straight thru rear box.We replaced the large center box with the straight thru center section expecting it to be really loud but it isnt,it sounds just right-a bit like a tvr but not noisy from inside the car :) ,maybe the cats act as a silencer?i was wondering if the center section of the V8 was the same shape/length as any other model(one that a replacement is already made for??)
Paul :twisted:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal