AuthorTopic: Engine swaps  (Read 1020 times)

Offline petergalileo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Engine swaps
« on: September 09, 2007, 20:37:59 »
I have a 1999 V reg 1.8 Freelander, I like the thing a lot and I want to get rid of that engine badly !

Occurs to me, the 1.8 K series was also used in the Rover 600.  Now, Rover 600s came with the 1.8, 2.0 and I think a 2.3 there was also a diesel.  I am thinking a 2.0 would bolt up to a 1.8 gearbox so should fit a freelander.  Also, theres a chance the diesel may have used the same gearbox too.

Not worried about wiring, thats easy, I have wired in ECUs before but would proberbly look for a diesel as it simplifies emmissions and wiring.

Has anyone at all thought about a similar sort of thing ? and got past the cost issue ?
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline carbore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Engine swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 13:35:27 »
Hmm....

Unless you want to do it just for the experience, then it sounds like a path to disappointments, my biggest fear would be that you will find it very hard to sell if you ever want to and it wont be much better than a un modded one.

Dont forget that there was a V6 freelnader with the Rover KV6 engine.  Im not use if it uses the same (rover PG1) gearbox as the 1.8K series. I also think that the early TD4s used Rover desiels as well.

You could put in a modifed 1.8k series. For example the MGF/Elise11s VVC engine kicks out about 143 BHP and more torque than the normal K series.  ALso you could do head/camas and go for a 135 or 160 BHP K series (but put on an oil cooler and remote thermostat). Alos the Elise 111s has a close ratio gearbox that could be better of road maybe????? The downside is that most people who Mod K series go for BHP over torque, but torque is more important off road.

I think id go for a KV6 tune it up and then supercharge it!. Loads of torque and sensible reliability (and sod the fuel bill).
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal