AuthorTopic: Disco Rear Electric Windows  (Read 338 times)

Offline hrox

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Disco Rear Electric Windows
« on: August 30, 2007, 00:21:14 »
as anyone got a wiring Diagram for the  rear electric windows as they dont seem to work, well they intemitant to the point they open and if alarmed and they already  open when i unlock and disalarm the car and go to put the windows up they do nothing. changed the switch over and nothing. checked all the interiour fuses and they seem fine but still think the diagram would be handy to have.

tried engine on, engine off, just ignition on, front ones work fine in all these so i know they must work but just getting annoying

Any other Ideas as to the windows being stuck thx in advance

i know its not a fuse as i just had them all out then messed up the alarm and immobiliser set the alarm off and for 6 mins while i found the right sized spanner to remove the earth lead on teh battery not a single light went on or curtian twitched. anyways, i have checked the fuses and also chenged the switch by using one of the front window switchs as its only the 2 rear windows with this problem..... anyone know if there are relays running the rear windows as it could be one of those but not 100% sure...

HELP! They stuck open :(
sorry if this post seems strange i had previously posted it as 2 comments!
Jamie, Shell & the Ankle Biters
--------------------------------------------------
1998 Disco 1
How much fun do you Have in yours???

Dont Steal, The Goverment Hates Competition!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:07:16 »
My sister has an intermittent fault closing hers too, I don't think therer is a relay on the rear, only the front for theone-shot.

It could be the isolating switch is [!Expletive Deleted!], try by-passing it with a blade fuse or bit or wire.  Try also swapping the swithces for the front ones you know to work.

If that fails it time to get the multimeter out, the wiring diagram leaves a bit to be desired though.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline hrox

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:32:39 »
:D thx for that,   i have tried to short the isolating switch with no joy.  i have got a altimeter out and one of the pins say 9.6 volts (this is for the light to come on with teh side lights) and another one reads at 13.4 volts (battery voltage) i have also found 2 earths and one pin that apears to do nothing thats at the switch end.  not done anything at the window motor end yet.  thats going to have to be tomorrow lunchtime :( ...

I have already swapped the front for the rear and back again as they were originally the wrong way round,  front for back etc so though i would change it as i had the cover off.
1998 Disco 1

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:38:10 »
Well basically all they are is reversing switches, you could try just shorting the 'right' pairs of terminals, 2 wires should be ground and battery, 2 should be the window motor and obvioulsy the last one you found to be the backlights.

But as you have 2 earths :?   sounds like a broken wire shorting to ground then, the window motor has to ground via the switch as I understand things.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline mobi

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 08:16:27 »
that sounds like the start to this-
http://www.discoweb.org/window/index.htm

Offline hrox

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 08:30:26 »
hum...  :cry: i only want the damm things to go up and dont care if they never work again.   was well cold coming to work this morning......

thx for link mobi will take a look at it.
1998 Disco 1

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 21:12:22 »
That'll be the window lift ECU with the usual dry joints on the circuit board then?.........

Its in the passenger foot well, small black box attached to the side of the ABS ECU if its there, if not its on the metal frame under the glove-box beside the relay cluster, front cover flips off after the connector is off then the board slides out, re-solder the joints and re-assemble, job done - well, it was on my 1996 300 TD1 anyway, and loads of others with the same fault....................
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline peasey

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 22:12:35 »
mate stageonesimmo is spot on the same thing happened to mine once you find the window ecu its a ten minuite job it was the largest joint that was at fault on mine blob it up bruv and the jobs a good un
HIT IT AND HIT IT HARD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal