AuthorTopic: +2" Shock's  (Read 896 times)

Offline karlo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
  • Referrals: 0
+2" Shock's
« on: August 15, 2007, 17:02:33 »
If I fitted +2" shocks with standard springs to my disco would the springs dislocate or stay in place when articulated?

Offline Cheggs

Attack Member
+2" Shock's
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 19:44:03 »
i would have thought that they would dislocate as it would allow 2" more drop, but could be limited with straps or similar. :)
1994 Discovery 300 TDi Auto 
1972 Series III w\Prima Perkins     

1965 sIIa (Project)
1991 Discovery 200 TDi (Now sold)

"I'm not  mechanically minded but, I have several hammers"

Offline Disco_Stu

Attack Member
  • Any chance of a tow...?
+2" Shock's
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 19:49:47 »
If we're talking rear axle, they will dislocate if your anti roll bar allows it.

Mine did, it pulled thru the bush on the near side and hey presto, droop travel :)

If you want more droop, the roll bar has to be the first thing to go, unless you use spacers to lower it.

If you want to prevent dislocation, you can buy check straps for this purpose from the usual off road retailers. (Not much point fitting +2 dampers then).

Stu.
1994 300Tdi Disco    

Snorkel now complete.... http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=1906&highlight=

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
+2" Shock's
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 20:01:36 »
better safe than sorry.... go for the 2" + springs!  :wink:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline karlo

Attack Member
+2" Shock's
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 21:14:39 »
Quote from: "Ja1983"
better safe than sorry.... go for the 2" + springs!  :wink:

Yes i actually have been down this route purchased a set of +2" springs from a member on this forum drove 80 miles to get them, the guy said he had to go out and they were sealed in a box so i took him at his word put them in the boot, after a couple of days fetched them out to find standard fronts and +2" rears.

Says he must of took the +2" fronts to the tip by mistake, they were blue not black, thicker and heavier than the standard springs so how did the std fronts end up in the box with the lifted rears?

Now the guy wants me to return the std fronts (which are no good to him as far as i can see) 80 miles.
He knows as well as me it would cost nearly as much for me to return them as the refund he eventually offered would be.

He did offer alternate springs which were rears not ideal i know but i thought its better than nothing then said he wanted paying extra to which i pointed out i had already paid for a set of 4 lifted springs.

I tried to be as reasonable as i could over the matter but i don't see why i should pay extra for more springs when the fault doesn't lie with me i even gave him lots of time to get them off his vehicle (which i would have thought they would have been before being offered for sale).

The moral of the story is next time i will check before i leave with the goods,

Ripped off, that's what everyone has said that i've disscussed it with and shown the pm's to.

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
+2" Shock's
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 22:23:05 »
even with 2 inch springs they will still dislocate with +2 shocks
so they will come miles out on std springs, but dont keep it std height as the shockers will bottom out, acting as u bump stop on articulation and it will (excuse me technical term) [mcuk] them  :shock:
so get some longer springs, there only 50 quid a pair brand new (britpart)

dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline karlo

Attack Member
+2" Shock's
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 22:29:23 »
I plan (had planned) to do the springs all round i have to find some front's, the rears are Bearmach (blue) i believe,

Anyone selling some+2" front springs?

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
+2" Shock's
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 22:51:29 »
there only 50 quid new, i wouldnt even bother 2BH  :roll:
taking someones word that there ok..only to find out that they are old springs just been sprayed to look new, so when fitted you only get a inch lift instead of two  :roll:

i could sell you some front +2 springs but i wont, cos ino they aint 1 1/5nch, more like 1/5 lift when fitted

dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
+2" Shock's
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 00:55:00 »
I've checked very carfully and plus 2" ProComp will not bottom out on my RRC when it's on the bump stops.  As I have EAS this is very important.

What I would say is that with standard springs you stand a better chance of a dislocating spring going back in properly with the blade on the side of the spring seat.  No guarantee but if the round part of the top coil (not the thinned out section) is facing outwards you may well not need any location cones.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Cheggs

Attack Member
+2" Shock's
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 20:06:47 »
I Put a full set of HD springs on mine from MM4x4 about £55 for the set works great with +2ProComps, But I willl be extendin the brake hoses, and adding dislocation cones when i can afford to but at the moment I have got a nice lift, you could allways try some spacers on your current springs
1994 Discovery 300 TDi Auto 
1972 Series III w\Prima Perkins     

1965 sIIa (Project)
1991 Discovery 200 TDi (Now sold)

"I'm not  mechanically minded but, I have several hammers"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal