AuthorTopic: disco stereos??  (Read 5172 times)

Offline Disco Inferno

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
disco stereos??
« on: October 19, 2003, 15:18:05 »
Hd a few probs with the autochanger in my disco so i decided to go out and buy my self a nice sony cd head unit. Now it gets complicated.
The factory fitted system in my car includes a power amp and sub woofer. I was sold the "appropriate" ISO conversion lead from a certain high street store which when i got home didn't resemble the plugs behind the existing stereo,
Has anyone else had problems upgrading the head unit in a similar system, if so could they tell me how they did/didn't resolve the wiring nightmare
car is a november 1993 200tdi

cheers

andy
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

1999 Alfa Romeo 146 TS rallycar
1985 Audi Quattro rally car - deceased

ChrisW

disco stereos??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 18:29:54 »
By the sounds of it you've been sold the wrong ISO adaptor. There should be one that goes straight into the factory fit plugs that come off the old head unit.
As far as the amp/sub-woofers in the back door, as far as I know nobody makes a converter to get this working off non-genuine head units - a few people have chopped and fiddled around with the wiring to get it working though so it is possible.
You can also get an adaptor lead to connect a Sony head unit to the remote control plug so that you can use the buttons on the side of the dash - more useful IMHO is to just get a Sony joystick commander that screws onto the side of the steering column though.

Chris

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
disco stereos??
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 18:47:16 »
good job the father-in-laws an electrician!
Its gonna be a cut and shut job i think, my new head unit has the low power outs suitable for an amp, what i really need is a wiring diagram for the landrover standard amp, anyone know where i can lay my hands on such a diagram??
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

ChrisW

disco stereos??
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 20:52:02 »
Haynes has some details in - I think its the 'high end' stereo system that details it.
Its also on the RAVE cd but mine has gone up the spout  :cry:

From what I remember I think the wiring to the amp is three power cables, pos, neg and switched pos and a screened cable for the sound.
If you replace the amp you may want to consider rewiring the supply as the existing wiring may be a bit under rated  :wink:

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
disco stereos??
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 21:08:32 »
right maybe yours is different

Not looked too closely but i have a connector comprising off what looks to be ~16 wires, i can guess that 8 of these will be the pairs for the 4 main speakers, a couple for sound signal to sub, couple for sub power, a mains power and earth, a switched side for turnign amp on from stereo, a wire for electric aerial,

My haynes manual has the diagram for hisgh spec system but its next to useless, has some wire labled but for others it simply has a thick black line with "multi core" labled up - really useful
Is you haynes manual different to mine, an earlier version
mine is - "1989-1998 (G to S reg) petrol & diesel
ISBN - 1 85960 708 x, would you mind checking yours too see if its different, may have to get an earlier version if so
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

ChrisW

disco stereos??
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2003, 21:26:31 »
Just had a look - its not on the bookshelf, must be in the back of the car for some reason (can't be its usefulness tho!)
From your description tho it sounds like it is the same manual as yours.

Mine is a '94 300 - the factory wiring was already iso plugs with two seperate plugs, one for the remotes and one for the sub.

I'll have a look in the haynes tomorrow to see if I can shed any light  :wink:

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
disco stereos??
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2003, 21:39:38 »
i have three plugs behind the stereo, one which appear (from haynes) to be a mix of power/earth and the binacle controls, the other looks to be the speaker outs to the amp, and the other is for the autochanger. i have idebtified most of the wires from the diagram but i need to get the amp where i can see it to work out whats what, i should be able to put aside a fair few of the wires since the auto changer is now redundant and the binnacle controls will no longer be used,
God i hate wiring
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal