AuthorTopic: Discs  (Read 773 times)

Offline rustprooflandyracer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Discs
« on: July 12, 2007, 15:11:34 »
Just wondered whether any one had fitted the ZEUS engineering disc brake conversion?

http://www.yican.com.au/DBrakes/DBrakes.html

http://www.zeus.uk.com/land-rover.php

Thanks Matt
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Disco 300TDI - BFG AT's, Light Bar... Work in progress!

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
Discs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 20:33:36 »
are they expensive?

look good tho 8)

Attack Member
Discs
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:02:12 »
I went ahead and fitted them, wow what a difference. I had 11'' drums on the front, so twin wheel cylinders. Intially you have to press a little harder on the pedal but that is helped by the servo. This is  due to brake shoes have the affect of being drawn onto the drum when moving forward, that is why they are crap in reverse and hill holds. The discs are more consistent braking easier to control your reduction in speed. Where it was all or nothing with drums.

So I have a complete set of 11'' drums, shoes etc for sale.

Matt
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Discs
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 16:54:01 »
What's the cost?
How easy are these to fit?
What's involved in the conversion?
Do standard wheels fit over the calipers?

Let me know if anyone goes for your 11" jobs, I've currently got 11" and am looking for some 10" (from whoever gets these from you?) to go back to some simplicity with the one cylinder.
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Attack Member
Discs
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 16:02:23 »
The kit is £500 then add the delivery and VAT, so £609 total. The conversion is brilliant in that it was complete no modification away from standard vehicle.  They are 4 pot calipers unlike the swinging calipers sold by Rocky Mountain. I stripped the front axle assembly down to the half shafts.

Rough process

The problem encountered where the hexi bolts for the freewheeling hubs, which I just drilled out and bought new hubs. remove the wheel bearing setup and the brake backing plate. Then a bracket bolted onto the swivel housing then build up the bearing assembly fit the disc using the wheel nutsjust to get it on properely, add the caliper, pads etc. Remove the disc by taking wheel nuts off then add wheel re tighten then connect brake pipe from flexi hose to caliper. Bleed the system and away you go.

My main concerns during the process was the run out value to the disc, because it is the rotor that push the pistons back on the caliper, so ideally you want this to be as small as possible. More efficient etc. Checked this and found that the runout was less than 10 thou.  

I had to fit longer studs which they provide in the kit, so i had to get them out of the stub axle and push new ones in using the piece of wood, hammer and a wheel nut. Furthermore youhave to fit 16 x 6'' wheels mininum I had 16 x 7'' fitted already.

Also I had metric brake lines, and he had fitted UNF nuts so I had to cut, add and flare a new nut to the brake lines.

Overall it is a really good piece of kit all working great. So much better
Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal