AuthorTopic: Maverick alternator?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Wizza

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Maverick alternator?
« on: June 29, 2007, 16:17:49 »
Hi all,

I've had 6 months trouble free motoring with my P reg Maverick bought off e-bay, until now! problem started a bout a month ago when it became eratic at starting. I would turn the key and get absolutely nothing, fiddle about for 10 mins or so knocking it in and out of gera, clutch down etc and it would suddenly just burst into life without a splutter. This carried on for about 3 weeks and developed into turning the key , engine turning over but not starting, then running battery flat after a couple of goes.

I have put a new heavy duty battery in , started perfectly for a week and has now developed into the same dead battery routine. Had 4 jump starts in 2 days.

Is it time for a new alternator? What would you guys  check next? Local garage has asid it sounds like alternator and they cost a lot, £300 was his ball park figure!

Grateful as ever for your advice and experiences.

Wizza

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Maverick alternator?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 16:34:55 »
Get a multimeter out and start the engine. With the engine running you should see from about 13V to 14V and it should be gradually rising. If its lower but rising come back about 23 mins later, the voltage should be up to about 13V+ if its not and is stable your alternator has a fault. If it doesnt rise at all then you have no charge whatsoever.

I had an orion that would do this. Would be fine if you started it in the morning, then again at lunchtime. If I forgot the bettery would have gotten so low it was push start time. It did also kill two batteries.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
Maverick alternator?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 21:47:02 »
Check your battery leads as these have a habit of breaking next to the battery glamp. If it is this you just need a new clamp.
Millers do alternators for about £200 outright for a new one
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Wizza

Attack Member
Maverick alternator?
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:02:18 »
Thanks for  the replies,

I will check the leads and try and find someone with a multi meter.
I have only just put a new battery on, what should I do to try and save it, keep charging it or just not drive until it's fixed?

Regards

Wizza

Offline Wizza

Attack Member
Maverick alternator?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 15:09:24 »
Just got back from local garage who kindly tested the Maverick with the multimeter. Turns out it's the starter motor! I suppose the initial symptoms point that way?

"I would turn the key and get absolutely nothing, fiddle about for 10 mins or so knocking it in and out of gera, clutch down etc and it would suddenly just burst into life without a splutter"

Garage man  said an alternatorjob would be expensive, unfortunatley he now says that the starter motor is a much cheaper part but the labour will cost more. Doh!!!!

Wizza

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal