AuthorTopic: TD5 non start  (Read 344 times)

Offline freelanderpx54

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
TD5 non start
« on: June 27, 2007, 16:24:41 »
Disco cut out last night whilst driving. Green Flag to get me home.

The problem is that she won't start. Turns over ok but won't catch. When you turn the ignition on there is a whirring sound from behind the instument panel (RH side of speedo) There is fuel in it and I have added another Gallon to make sure :shock:  but still no joy.

I am going to check the fuel filter and sender tonight. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers
John

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
TD5 non start
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 18:49:15 »
Immobiliser maybe ? - mine played silly whatsits last week when I did some work at the VW HQ in Milton Keynes, parked in the visitors car park, worked for 3 hours, came back and it would spin over but not fire. Locked and unlocked it (using the button on the key) several times, and it eventually fired............not had any problems since  :?

The whirring sound - does it sound like a little fan running ?, and is the noise coming from by the headlamp level adjust knob ?, if so it's the air-sampling fan for the climate control. TUrn the A/C off and the noise should stop.
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
TD5 non start
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 22:37:05 »
Thanks Jimbo. Whirring noise is coming from where you said so that is that mystery cleared up  :)

Disco is running again (for now)  I took the fuel pump/sender out and everything was ok with the pump and the filter was clear. However, the sender unit wasn't located in the bottom of the tank properly, this gave the effect that the fuel gauge was never going to read less than the last division on the gauge.  Now that is sorted, the yellow light now comes on (as it is now :roll:  ) So it would appear that air was getting in the fuel lines due to there being very little fuel in the tank. Off to the garage tomorrow for a couple of cans of fuel and then I will risk driving it.

I have learnt a valuable lesson out of this. There are lies, damned lies and Landrover fuel gauges

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal