AuthorTopic: Alarm that doesn't like rain  (Read 339 times)

Offline simondarby

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Devon
  • Referrals: 0
Alarm that doesn't like rain
« on: June 25, 2007, 16:36:45 »
Every time it rains heavily, my alarm will go off on its own.  The only way to stop it sounding is to leave the vehicle unlocked or to disconnect the battery.  I had half of the dash out over the weekend and took the opportunity to fit an alarm spider bypass which i bought ages ago but hadn't fitted. (I realise this device is designed to cure another fault but I am a hopeful kind of guy).

This has not solved the problem. The main reason for delving into the dash was to find where the water is getting in as I think this is what is causing my woes.  I think the alarm ECU is getting wet as the passenger footwell gets wet when it rains.  After 2-3 hours, I am still none the wiser as I can't find where the water is getting in.

Has anyone got any bright ideas on how I could waterproof the alarm ECU?  If I can't figure out where the water is coming in, waterproofing the alarm ECU might do as a short term measure....

Appreciate any ideas as ever..

Si
1994 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN130

Offline FlagonSlayer

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 14:14:05 »
Same with with mine - tried silicon around usual suspect areas on windscreen seals etc. but never managed to find out where the water is coming in.

I just blasted the alarm ECU with WD40 and wrapped a plastic bag around it some time ago so that any water sheds off and can't track down the wires - no further problems.
96 Discovery 300TDi

Offline simondarby

Attack Member
    • South Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 22:03:33 »
Nice one FlagonSlayer..  I'll give that a go...

Si
1994 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN130

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal