AuthorTopic: Found my clonk  (Read 344 times)

Offline thermidorthelobster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Found my clonk
« on: June 02, 2007, 13:16:52 »
I've been getting a bit of a transmission clonk for some time on the TD5.  I've also had a diff bearing whine for a long time so I thought the two might be related.  Just had a look under the front end, and it turns out the UJ on the front end of the cardon joint at the rear of the front prop is absolutely knackered.

Started to take off the prop shaft, then I realised I don't have the little tool that helps you avoid rounding off the heads of the nuts (you didn't need it on the 101).  I then checked with the dealer who said the UJ on the D2 is different than the spare one I have for the D1, so I'd need a new one;  so I thought to hell with it, I'll drop it down to Challenger and they can do it for me.

When I got there Paul confirmed that the UJ on the D2 IS the same as the spare one I have in the garage, so thanks very much to the dealer.  So I could have done it myself...  although it's quite nice to have somebody else get covered in oil for a change.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline lyndon

Attack Member
Found my clonk
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 15:16:59 »
What is it with Landrover mechanics. I had a similar experience. Phoned them up regarding a fault on my TD5's air suspension. Basically it used to let the air out of the nearside rear bag, when ever it felt like itwhen stationary. The mechanic tried to convince me that this was normal. Said something about helping to load and unload the vehicle. Load of ****.

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Found my clonk
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 15:34:44 »
To be fair, I knew when I phoned the dealer I'd probably get the wrong answer.  If I'd been that bothered about getting the right answer I'd have phoned Brookwells.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal