AuthorTopic: lpg conversion .....Fred Dibnah style  (Read 926 times)

Offline CaptainColourful

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
lpg conversion .....Fred Dibnah style
« on: May 17, 2007, 01:16:02 »
Just had my GC in for conversion.  I chose this guy cos he was the only local guy who was willing to talk me through the whole system and explain everything to me... and looking like Fred Dibnah in his overalls and flat cap peruaded me to use his services....  (another local place was more like a boutique than a garage with nobody willing to really explain stuff to me, not even give me a fixed price ! )

I have the latest injectors, latest engine management system programme, an underslung split tank with skid plate and an easy fit gas filter to get rid of the <edit> rubbish </edit> that he says the UK market LPG has in it.
Apparently the European gas is much cleaner than ours....

The conversion went well, even though the injectors took 3 days to get here from Italy.

I had also asked him to check the exhaust out, it was a little noisy. He set to with a welding gear and filled a couple of tiny holes... job done ! Errr that is until he caught a wire from the engine management system with a welding rod....oops !
Yup.... that's not done it any good at all !

He foned to explain his mistake and promised he would replace the unit today.
 When I foned him this morning he said it was on its way, one of his lads had set off for Gloucester at 6am to get a second hand unit £150 compared to £1200 from the Jeep main stealer.

I realise it was his problem, but I call that pretty good service seeing as he could have used a courier and got it tomorrow.
As it is, by the time he received the part and wired it up then programmed it for the LPG conversion it was going on for 8pm when he had completed a thorough roadtest. He says it drives like a dream and is well pleased with his work.
I felt sorry for him by this time, as he was about to drive across Sheffield to deliver it to me.
 We came to an agreement that he will deliver by 7am so that HWMBO can use it to go to work tomorrow. He has even filled both tanks for me so she won't have to struggle.

I am sorry this has been a long-winded story, but I wonder if anyone else has had such a good service from a guy who has obviously lost any profit that he hoped to make on a job.  

I am so glad I used the Fred look-alike ... the other place would not have gone to all the trouble he has I am sure.

I will let you know who he is and how to contact him once I have used LPG for a while and know that the conversion is as good as he says it is.

Anyone else had a guy who cares so much ? I reckon they are a rarity these days.
TD5 ... Disco Classic Country (Oz import)

What credit crunch ? I started with nothing and still have most of it left !

Offline jjsaul

Attack Member
    • Leeds, West Yorks
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 13:54:09 »
I'm looking to fit a multipoint system on my rangie so details would be much appreciated along with what he charged you when you've had chance to try it for a bit.
James

...lovin dirty days out...

1983 OneTen V8 Station Wagon 3.5 (LPG)
1972 Range Rover V8
1992 Range Rover 4.6 (LPG)
1978 Range Rover Carmichael Commando 6x4
1972 Range Rover - Major project, FOR SALE
1976 Range Rover - Less of a project, FOR SALE
Previously: Range Rovers 1988, 1990 and others...
2005 Volvo V70 T5 SE (LPG) - daily driver

Offline CaptainColourful

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 00:17:06 »
OK James I will let you know how it is after a few 100 miles.

He turned up at my door this morning as promised and WHMBO took it to work and back after I had given it a little blast round the local area.
 All seems fine, changing back and forth between gas & petrol is smooth and powerwise I can't see any difference...
Unfortunately I am suffering with sciatica at the mo, so can't really drive whilst I am taking valium. I will keep you informed once I have got back to normal.
 Cost wise ... £2000 ... (that was a lot cheaper than some on the web)
He is based in Dronfield, nr Chesterfield,  but I am sure he may know someone of similar repute nearer to you. This is his website, give him a ring. Mention my jeep and he will no doubt give you fuller details. I know that they have a Landie or two of their own.

www.ajservices.info

Offline oldy58

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 11:27:08 »
how nice and refreshing to hear something like this :)
i admit to being stupid, it save time

Offline CaptainColourful

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 18:03:44 »
Kept off the valium today so I was fit to drive and been a little 90 mile trip mainly on mixed roads with a fair amount of traffic.
The mpg is showing as 21 average (US Gal) so i reckon I can call that 25 mpg Imperial Gal..... cost of gas is 42.9p per litre compared with 96.9p for unleaded.

If my brain cell is functioning correctly, that works out at the equivalent of50mpg + ...  :D

Am I happy :?:

You bet your house on it  :!:  

More over, if I take my time and use it sensibly on longish motorway runs I reckon I can top 60mpg.

Now where's that valium ? My leg is making me pay for mising it out, worth it tho to see what is possible on LPG

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal