AuthorTopic: Cruise control  (Read 4810 times)

Offline peggle

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Cruise control
« on: October 09, 2003, 20:12:56 »
:(

Help please,

My cruise control has stopped working !! I've checked the vacuum pipes and they appear o/k - any suggestions/thoughts would be welcome.

pat.hunt

cruise control
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 21:34:38 »
Hi
When I've had problems in the past it's been the switch on the brake pedal. Try putting your foot under the pedal and lifting it as you engage cruise, this sometimes works and tells you that the switch wants adjusting.
Good luck
Pat

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Cruise control
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 21:36:06 »
I don't know about the Disco, but on the Range Rover 38A the cruise control circuit was linked to the brake lights.

Check that both your brake lights are working..  

It's a long shot professor, but it just might work.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Cruise control
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 21:40:36 »
Perhaps the brick fell off the accelerator...

Oh wait...

This isn't series motors is it ?

/me goes back to being quiet
--

Offline matthew

Attack Member
Cruise control
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 01:01:38 »
Quote from: "datalas"
Perhaps the brick fell off the accelerator...

Oh wait...

This isn't series motors is it ?

/me goes back to being quiet

Mine must be a posh series motor then, it's got a lever under the middle of the dash.. :)
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline peggle

Attack Member
cruise control
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 15:10:45 »
thanks for the replies,

I have checked the switch on the brake pedal, this appears to be o/k, and the other switch on the brake pedal is for the brake lights I imagine - the brake lights work o/k.
So it's back to the drawing board (or as a last resort to Land Rover !!!!)

Offline Colin 009

Attack Member
    • High Wycombe
Cruise control
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 00:39:41 »
Hi,

How about the controls on the streering wheel :?: not sure what kind of contacts are used but this is what I'll be checking next as mine is playing up as well :?
Cheers.
Colin,
Shiny Blue Crew 009
                   "Everbody Has to be Somewhere"

Offline peggle

Attack Member
Cruise Control
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 17:19:27 »
:D  :lol:

I've now had more time and energy to look at the problem.

It would appear that the vacuum hose between the brake pedle switch and the 't' piece in the engine compartment was slightly split where it goes through the bulkhead - new piece of pipe now fitted.
However, the vacuum release switch which is fitted to the brake pedle on the auto's, although o/k, has a broken securing tab which prevents it being secured to the pedle housing.
Now, I have used a rubber band to keep this switch closed and not fitted it back to the pedle as yet - will need to get another one when the shops open next week.

Question to the techies out there - the system now works just as well as it ever did - but without the vacuum release switch being operated by the brake pedle? Do I really need to replace this switch, or is having the switch permenantly active going to cause any serious safety problems in the future.

Many thanks to those that have replied so far, without these I wouldnt have got as far as I have. (and also saved lots of money by not having to go to Land Rover)

Disco Davy

Cruise control
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 20:37:11 »
:lol:
Hi guys I'm new to your forum so don't be too sore on me, I bought my disco about six months ago and as of yet too scared to get it dirty.
I also had problems with the cuise control and fixed it by cutting the ends off the vac hoses. worked a treat

I never found the brick either, where was I meant to look?

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Cruise control
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 20:39:54 »
Disco Davy,

Check out the events forum....I'm sure we can coax a little adventure out of your Disco :)
--
Neil

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Re: Cruise Control
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 21:13:06 »
Quote from: "peggle"
Question to the techies out there - the system now works just as well as it ever did - but without the vacuum release switch being operated by the brake pedle? Do I really need to replace this switch, or is having the switch permenantly active going to cause any serious safety problems in the future.

Mudt be honest and say that I'm guessing here, but does that switch not release the cruise control when the brake pedal is pushed.

If this is the case, then yes youhave the potential of big safety issues if it's not refitted
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal