AuthorTopic: Oh Happy Days!  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Oh Happy Days!
« on: November 29, 2004, 21:53:08 »
It was a dark dismal morning as I parked the Discovery up at the WYMAS workshops at 05:15 (West Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service)
It was attending for its MoT test, a day of fear & trepidation for most of us.

Yesterday morning it had tried to drown, tattoo & then scald me :roll:

I'd had a run out to a relatives house, then it was matter of changing all 3 filters in preparation for the smoke test - not too keen on old oil for the max revs.
Fuel filter was done; I'd forgotten how much it takes to hand-pump the fuel back up with the lift-pump lever
The sump was draining nicely into a bucket, so off with the oil filter.

As I'd just got it off (& in my hand) the wind got up & dribbles from the sump plug blew over my face.
Due to the restricted space, & moving my free hand to wipe my face, I lost my grip on an oily filter - tipping it up in the process.
It ran down my arm pooling under shoulder, then bounced off the axle-casing & hit me in the chest spalshing everywhere; face, eyes, mouth, hair....
It was a bit on the warm side as well :shock: !!! (10mile run)

I struggled out dripping, muttering dark imprecations about Solihull designers, but then thought "Sod it!", screwed the new filter on & re-filled the sump
Joanne saw me coming to the house & stood on the top door-step greeting me with
"Get Lost!, Not in those clothes!!" (or words with a similar meaning)

I ended up getting undressed to my boxers in the garden & then standing on the basement 'Ute' scrubbing myself with Fairy Liquid, Vim, sharp sand & a scrubbing brush - whilst checking for burnt bits.

The clothes went in the bin :roll: A new(20year old) ex-Council Bin-mans jacket (Fred Dibnah style) & a decent pair of ex-Army trousers.

It wasn't my day, as I was on afternoons as well , so I wasn't home until 22:15 (& back up at 04:00 this morning)

All morning I was resigning myself to it failing on either the bushes or smoke test.
At 14:15 I went down to the workshop.
On the desk in the office, partially hidden under some papers , was a fail sheet for a registration commencing 'S5...'
'Damnation!!', I thought; what's wrong with it??

Dean took another folder out & said;
"Here's the test certificate. That's £35.00 please" :D

Oh, me of little faith!!! :lol:

Sorry to be so long-winded but we like to hear of each others calamities, so I just added my Hot Mineral (oil) Bath

At least I didn't do it on the (1month old) block paved drive, then she would have been a bit unhappy
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal