AuthorTopic: TD5 90 - Good daily car?  (Read 458 times)

Offline cotefarmboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
TD5 90 - Good daily car?
« on: April 20, 2007, 09:57:17 »
I am desperate for a new LR to replace my Disco 300 and really fancy a Defender 90 TD5. The one I am looking at has done 60k miles and is Bonatti Grey and near mint condition, even has air-con  :)

However it is £14k which is about average for dealer prices but a lot to pay for a truck like this. My reservations are really the mpg, noise and comfort on journeys. I love 90's and know what they are like to drive but once a month I do a 600 mile round trip to Kent and back which could be hard work in this.

Any advice please, my pen is hovering over the order form but I am scared!!!!
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline Boddle

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Boddle on Xbox
    • Coventry UK
  • Referrals: 1
TD5 90 - Good daily car?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:57:35 »
Defenders are like Marmite you love it or hate it

Take for test drive and see what you think.

Yes it is more noisy than Discovery.

Comfort depends on whether you fit it as opposed to if being design to be adjusted to you. I personally prefer mine to Jaguar XJS that use to drive for most the XJS would be the easy winner.

600 Mile depends on how you get on with extra noise and how comfortable you feel. I have no problems myself.

Fuel consumption when standard roughly 22-25mpg.
since chip and ally sport intercooler fitted 25mpg.

I have no experience of air con in a Defender but I believe it will not be up to what you are use to with Disco

Hope I haven't put you of.

littlepow

TD5 90 - Good daily car?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 20:53:53 »
I run mine my Td5 90 between North Yorkshire and Cornwall about every 3 months, use to do 400 mile round trip every week in it.
Can be noisey and to be honest does get a bit uncomfortable near the end of the trip, specially if there is a lot of slow traffic.
With overdrive I get between 30-35mpg, depends on right foot.
Would recommend upgrading the front seats to something better.
The only problem is if you carry a lot of luggage, you loose any passanger capability in the back. Also the back inward facing seats are not very good to use for long trips.
Apart from that, I am happy enough with it on long trips.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal