AuthorTopic: A bar on 300 Tdi  (Read 339 times)

Offline Iain C

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
A bar on 300 Tdi
« on: April 16, 2007, 22:19:11 »
Right, now that the old girl has gone through her MOT first attempt, I can start doing some mods.

I've sourced some off road tyres on modulars, so they'll be going on soon.  However the look of my truck is let down by a mangled front bumper, although I think I have found a 300 bumper second hand.  I don't want to go too silly on sorting it as one day I will put on a winch bumper, although by the looks of things unless solo off roading that really needs to come last on the list.

At the mo my front towing eye has snapped off, and I was thinking of some jate rings.  However instead I've found a s/h A bar with built in recovery eyes, which I was thinking of adding, however it seems that the number plate surround gets in the way.  Apparently you can get a shallower version of the suround than the standard 300, anyone tried this?

Also, if I went for the A bar/spots/300 standard bumper idea and lost the front air dam, what do I do about end caps?  Can I carefully cut the standard ones and emery them smooth so they are level with the bumper, or are 200 ones shallower?

Thanks in advance!
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
A bar on 300 Tdi
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 22:36:31 »
Dunno about the 'A' bar thing - I'd just wait and fit a winch bumper myself...., but, You can just cut the end-caps down - I took a  jig-saw to mine and they look fine.  I too junked the front spoiler and fog lamps when I fitted a steering guard..........  there are a couple of pics in the wheels and tyres section of orrp that might show it......
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
A bar on 300 Tdi
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 22:41:02 »
Iain,

The number plate surround is a useless piece of plastic... unfortunately the only way to remove it in one piece is to remove the bumper. But that's exactly what I did.

Had to remove the bumper to fit my 90 A-bar anyway and the darned ( :lol: ) thing was in the way.

My advice?

Remove the plastic surround, bumper off if you want to hang onto it or sell it on... BFI otherwise (BFI = Brute Force & Ignorance!).

I screwed my number plate back on straight though the mounting holes for the plastic bit. It's lasted a number of fairly serious off road sessions now and numerous dips in numerous fords!

Skibum

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal