AuthorTopic: advice needed  (Read 740 times)

Offline craftycarper

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
advice needed
« on: April 15, 2007, 19:12:49 »
Went out the other evening for a drive 1st , 2nd and then no 3rd or 4th gear it was like hitting a brick wall, with the engine running or not i just cannot select 3rd or 4th.
Anyhow gets told it's the detent springs so orders the bits and a new clutch etc and spends the day with me bro stripping out the box, not easy as it was an ex military swb with the gearbox crossmember still welded in place underneath. On getting it out we suddenly find that the box is now selecting 3rd and 4th , no problem as it needed the clutch replacing, thrust bearing is all melted up and was making a hell of a noise. Problem is parts did not arrive as planned on saturday but any ideas on what else could be the problem, i guess we will still break the box on monday morn to put in the springs while we have them, anything we should be looking out for etc...

Offline tiltboy

Attack Member
advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 14:30:21 »
Rest of the box should be ok. You're doing the clutch anyway I take it?

Drain the oil and have a good look for any white metal.

Good luck!
TREAD LIGHTLY

DEFENDER 90 200 TDI SOFT TOP
235/85/16 BFG MT'S
2" LIFT
UNDERBODY PROTECTION
SNAP OFF STEERING WHEEL
SAFARI SNORKEL

SANKEY TRAILER

1950 80" TRIALER
DEFENDER 90 200TDi CHT
1987 RANGE ROVER 3.5EFI FOR SALE!!
SKODA SUPERB TDI ELEGANCE

Offline craftycarper

Attack Member
advice needed
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 00:52:53 »
well i was given another box on monday from the guy i bought the motor off of, fitted it today with a new clutch and i must say it's running sweet. Have not split the old box as of yet, but on close inspection and the help of a magnetic stick we managed to retrieve a broken detent spring from within the box so i guess that explains the loss of 3rd & 4th, a pig of a job to fit but good fun and a few aches n pains a few hours later  :D   :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal