AuthorTopic: exhaust silencer  (Read 1626 times)

anaxemurderer

exhaust silencer
« on: March 16, 2007, 20:48:53 »
Following a slight backfire last weekend i need to get a new silencer for the range rover (the old one was totally destroyed!). Its a 1982 3.5 carbed with standard exhaust (except its only had centre box because of bobtail).

So i'm after a centre box for 1982 rangie V8. Been to exhaust places and quoted £100 plus. Not paying that so might take a trip to scrap yard.

What else would fit, don't mind if its a bit louder than before (it sounds awesome now).

Cheers

Nick

Offline hairyasswelder

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
  • Referrals: 0
exhaust silencer
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 22:18:09 »
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

AbyssDJ

exhaust silencer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 22:19:19 »
leave it off! :D center boxes are for weeds :P

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
exhaust silencer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 01:51:14 »
Centre box from a TDi will sound nice if you have no rear box, I had that for a while but now it's a stainless sports piece.

Funny, RRR did the very same thing :?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

AbyssDJ

exhaust silencer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 04:43:16 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
Centre box from a TDi will sound nice if you have no rear box, I had that for a while but now it's a stainless sports piece.

Funny, RRR did the very same thing :?

ours is the other way around - center box off, rear small rear silencer still there

edit - hang on, do you mean fitting a tdi center box onto a v8 rangie?

anaxemurderer

exhaust silencer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 14:32:07 »
Cheers for that, will probably just get one from paddocks. Just getting a direct swap as its easier for the moment. Don't really have time to fiddle around with other options at the moment. Still haven't fitted extended break pipes and front suspension bits are due to arrive soon.

Would love to just pipe it (ie no silencers) but its so noisy i would get pulled over at some point. Its noisy to the point where people stood next to it have to cover there ears! he he

Nick

ps just about to remove exhaust manifold for welding (fingers crossed for no sheared bolts!)

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
exhaust silencer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 20:05:49 »
I often shear studs off the manifold to downpipe, I keep spare manifolds now :roll:

I don't know about a straight pipe but with either one or the other removed it sounds nice :wink:
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

anaxemurderer

exhaust silencer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 20:12:18 »
Range rover blues will tdi silencer fit onto original downpipes then? (after the Y obviously) I'd have to fabricate a new pipe after silencer as it currently has twin pipes.

Manifold came off nicely, get the crack welded up this week.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
exhaust silencer
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 20:19:57 »
When we got Blue it had a stock 3.9 pipe (bigger bore in places than a 3.5) and a single silencer, the back one was missing.  I was told that the centre box was a TDi box.

The back of the Y piece has an olive joint in it, then straight after the middle box is a scarfed joint.  the section in between should accept either type of box unless I'm mistaken but I can't make any promises about the size of the pipe.  I assume it's the same though.

anaxemurderer

exhaust silencer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 21:00:24 »
Not sure that sounds quite right, by olive joint you mean a joint where ends of pipes are flared and a ring (olive) sits inside them. But then looking at parts pictures of tdi exhaust it looks more like a flanged joint.

Might just order original to save the hassle. It still sounds nice without the back box.

Cheers anyhow

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
exhaust silencer
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 13:32:28 »
When it stops raining I'll go ouotside and look.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal