AuthorTopic: advice??  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Matt.t.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
advice??
« on: March 16, 2007, 13:28:58 »
Since my shogun which i had all of 3 days until a lorry smacked it i want another 4x4,

been crossing my mind about cherokees, i drive 60 miles a day to work and back and my impreza only does 17mpg!

been thinkin of gettin a diesel or a 4.0 LPG, my old boss had one and seemed to be great on fuel with LPG....

What you think?  

Only got about a grand to play with
Cars beer and women!  in that order!

Offline isle of man

Attack Member
advice??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 13:49:23 »
it's possible plenty about on ebay at the moment...........have a good look at the floor for rust especially the rear, also diff bearings, the petrol 4.0 is the better option with lpg, the diesel are or could be expensive to put right if problems arise, other than that should be as expected for a vehicle that cost's a grand.

peter henry
SEE THE "MANX MAFIA" THE "TGB" AND ALSO "STRIKE ONE" THE BUGGY
http://www.j33p.org/_club/rides_view.cfm?ride_id=24

skip

advice??
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 17:43:54 »
Seriously check for RUST! IOMs right. mines rotton as a pear now.
Also make sure the back axle is nice and quiet, any noise walk away there's plenty about,

Offline UKJeeper

Attack Member
advice??
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 20:25:25 »
There's £1k XJ's all over the place right now. Look on EvilBay and Autotrader. But get the diesel or gas converted petrol, much cheaper to run.

When they do get rusty, they seem to rust out in the door sills, boot floor, under the rear seat, and (strangely enough) i see a lot get a rust hole on the roof just behind the drivers head. So have the carpet up and start banging the floor.

skip

advice??
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 01:05:42 »
Mine's just got the old roof rot, next to the top right hand edge of the tail gate, seems to have come from the inside out. sand paper a hammer and some clear silicone have fixed it for the time being 8)

I've seen quite a few older ones going there :?

I'm also going to be filling the sills with a couple of pints of old engine oil in the vain hope of stopping the rot :roll:

Offline barttheguinnessguy

Attack Member
advice??
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 01:49:51 »
Go for a Diesel. (I run mine on veg oil in the summer, well cheap :D ) Like everyone else says, LOOK OUT FOR THE DREADED METAL MOULD. also, try to get one with some history. It proves that the previous owners have been fairly conciencious (sp?). I keep every single sodding reciept for mine, in the vain attempt that it will be easier to sell when the time comes. There are loads about at the mo. Its a buyers market, so if you have any doubts, walk away. There will be another one along shortly :)
Roughing it smoooothly

Offline Matt.t.

Attack Member
advice??
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 11:44:50 »
cheers chaps, i think a diesel will be best for me,

i used to run my old defender on chip fat in the summer lol!

not bothered about looks, few scratches and that not fussed about, not expecting alot for a grand lol, engine good and body thats all the matters

Will keep u posted!
Cars beer and women!  in that order!

Offline tim_aka_tim

Attack Member
advice??
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 21:41:04 »
I used to own a VM powered WJ, and I'm with Peter here. You really need to consider the potential cost of repairing an indirect injection VM. Poor oil flow in the upper galleries due to bad design causes overheating and cracked heads. You might get lucky, but there are too many stories of people being unlucky and paying £1500 and upwards to fix it.
An LPG 4.0 is the way to go.

skip

advice??
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 12:06:47 »
The only thing with LPG that really bugs is in some areas it's hard to come by.
I'm lucky where I live, there about five place within 10mins drive. but whenever I drive out of my area I have to get on the net and search out the gas stations that are near my route.

Offline CaptainColourful

Attack Member
advice??
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 23:09:05 »
http://www.fuelture.com/LPG-Stations

http://www.gastech.org.uk/images/LPGStns.pdf

Try these sites for a list of LPG stations either along a route or in your local area
TD5 ... Disco Classic Country (Oz import)

What credit crunch ? I started with nothing and still have most of it left !

skip

advice??
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 00:34:10 »
Thanks Captain,

The more sites to search the better. alot of stations don't appear on the same sites.

Skip.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal