AuthorTopic: A bars & air bags  (Read 5358 times)

pat.hunt

A bars & air bags
« on: October 05, 2003, 20:54:09 »
Hi
Iwant to fit a steel A bar to my ES Disco but have been informed that the steel one's are not compatable with a vehicle with air bags, can anyone explain to me why, as I dont want to fit a plastic one.
Regards
Pat

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
  • Referrals: 0
A bars & air bags
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 21:20:28 »
Hi Pat,

I dunno why anyone should say that, haven't heard it before.

I've got a 95 "ES" with a steel "A" bar on it, I fitted it myself and it didn't effect my insurance, so must be OK I think.
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline Colin 009

Attack Member
    • High Wycombe
A bars & air bags
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 21:32:33 »
Hi Pat,

I have read somewhere about this (sorry can't remember where).
But it has something to do with the crumple zone effect. Any A-Bar should I believe should line up with the "crash cans" mounted behind the Bumper.

At least I think thats what it said.

Also I'm sure there are A-bars that are compatible with Air -bags, you will need to talk to some of the suppliers.

Good Luck.
Cheers.
Colin,
Shiny Blue Crew 009
                   "Everbody Has to be Somewhere"

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
A bars & air bags
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 22:48:24 »
AFAIK the A-bar shouldn't make a difference.  The main issue with an A-bar or Bullbar is likely to be aircon, as this can affect the positioning of the grille panel.

If you are fitting a winch bumper, or replacement bumper then the crush cans will need tobe considered.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline wifey

Attack Member
A bars & air bags
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 09:25:20 »
muddy web wrote
If you are fitting a winch bumper, or replacement bumper then the crush cans will need tobe considered.

Tim can you explain this please? (Remember that I'm a Bear of Little Brain :wink: )
I have a winch bumper on my Series I Disco (no winch yet). Will this effect my insurance?
cheers! 8)
tina
Shiny Blue Crew Disco 200 Tdi J236 RVM
as yet unamed (aww!) Defender 90 2.25D E50 KEH
thrive under pressure and seize the day!
www.thriveunderpressure.com

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
A bars & air bags
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 10:01:12 »
The crush cans are a fairly important part of the SRS (airbag) system.  They are mounted down behind the bumper.

Changing the bumper can have an effect on the sucessful operation of the airbag in a front-end collision.   You need to make sure that the replacement bumper is compatible with the SRS set up on your vehicle.

If you have no airbag, then there is no real issue.

In terms of insurance.... in my experience, *anything* that your insurance company can use to avoid paying you in the event of a claim.

Tell them about it would be my advice.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline wifey

Attack Member
A bars & air bags
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 10:05:55 »
thanks Tim, will do.
cheers! 8)
tina

pat.hunt

A bars & air bags
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 21:51:49 »
Hi Guys
I spoke to Land Rover today with regard to air bags and A bars. Their customer services guy spoke to their technical people and told me that the only reason for them stopping the sale of tubular steel A bars/Bull bars was because of EU regulations with regard to pedestrian safety. They say that they are not aware of any problems with regard to the air bags not operating in the event of an accident should a tubular steel A bar be fitted. So were did the air bag problem originate !!!  
Regards
Pat

Offline wifey

Attack Member
A bars & air bags
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 23:22:56 »
i don't like bull or A bars for show but can see why some want them for off-raoding.

having patched up kids hit by vehicles with said ornamentation i can honestly say it isn't the bar that hurt them; it's usually the 2+tonne of truck piloted by a pilock that does it
cheers! 8)
tina

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
A bars & air bags
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2003, 13:07:10 »
Quote from: "pat.hunt"
<snip>They say that they are not aware of any problems with regard to the air bags not operating in the event of an accident should a tubular steel A bar be fitted. So were did the air bag problem originate !!!  </snip>

Hi Pat,

That's what I was saying... I don't know of any reason an A-Bar would interfere....   If you change the *bumper* you need to get a compatible unit for your vehicle.

Cheers.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
A bars & air bags
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2003, 19:33:11 »
Pat,

When I fitted my winch bumper, 90 a-bar and winch to my LR I duly drove up to the dealer I bought it from and asked them if it was ok, warranty wise. They said *yep*.

I have dual air bags......

The 97/98 Model Year Disco has a slightly different SRS system to the earlier ones....so....
--
Neil

pat.hunt

A bars and air bags
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2003, 20:02:37 »
Hi

Well, after looking at all the information I can not see how 2 inches of tubular steel is going to stop an air bag from operating when it is followed by 2 & 3/4 tons of Disco, so it looks like a tubular steel A bar for my motor. All this by the way is so I can fit Driving lights, I like to see were I'm going at night and us wrinkly's need all the help we can get.

Cheers folks

Pat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal