AuthorTopic: Diff guards  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Sarge

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Diff guards
« on: October 05, 2003, 09:03:37 »
This is probably a silly question but coming from me it won't be the last. Do I fit diff guards to both the front and rear diff's or just the front one. Any help (Psychiatric) or otherwise appreciated.

Dave
Heeeeeeelllllllllllllllllp........

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Diff guards
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 10:53:26 »
well, the long and short of it is "either", "neither" or "both" depending

The front one tends to get a lot more "head on" collisions, such as driving into rocks and so on, although in a series motor you're likely to do a lot of damage to the steering linkage before you reach the diff.

The rear diff tends to be subject to you balancing the weight of the entire motor on it, and then dragging it over a rock for good measure...

in the later case, you're more likely to have ripped the gearbox (or at least the gearbox cross member) to shreds before reaching the diff...

so as I said, depends how seriously you're thinking of playing,  with the cost of series diff's being so low, and given that you can always drive home on one of them (with judicious removal of a prop shaft) you might want to save your money ;)
--

Offline matthew

Attack Member
Diff guards
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 11:35:24 »
My 88" has got one on the front, 'cos I dented the diff case laning whilst still on 600x16 tyres. The 109" though hasn't got any, does anybody make a diff guard for a salisbury axle anyway?
To be honest if you only go off tarmac occassionally and take a bit of care when you do then you shouldn't need them.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline 300+

Attack Member
Diff guards
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 13:58:27 »
QT services do a salisbury guard.

Steve

Offline Adie

Attack Member
Diff guards
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 19:17:26 »
I have front and rear diff gaurds fitted, Im glad they are there as they have done there job a few times. The rear is a QT guard/slider and has taken a lot of hits whilst on rocky ground, and helps the diff to slide over any rocks that get in its way!!.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal