AuthorTopic: Idle speed  (Read 1902 times)

Offline andyfloss03

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Idle speed
« on: February 25, 2007, 21:17:33 »
the idle speed on our series 3 has started to run a little low any idea where the idle adjustment is and how easy it is to change

thx. Andy
:D See the inpassible lane...Then grab some minerals :D

1966 Series 2a
2.25 diesel
big wheels and rock sliders

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Idle speed
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 21:26:18 »
2.25 Litre Petrol or Diesel?

If petrol, what carb is fitted? (idle speed should be 500rpm approx)

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Idle speed
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 22:06:00 »
According to dvla 9999cc engine capacity :lol:  :shock:
and its a petrol?
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline andyfloss03

Attack Member
Idle speed
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 09:22:12 »
its a 2.25 diesel engine seems to be working its self out a bit now i think its when it gets a bit warm
:D See the inpassible lane...Then grab some minerals :D

1966 Series 2a
2.25 diesel
big wheels and rock sliders

Offline Mike1975

Attack Member
Idle speed
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:27:44 »
it had something to do with me driving down the A5 at an indicated 60mph and a large grinding noise followed by a complete loss of power and the engine dying probable.  5 mins later it started again but idling went about wobbly.  Grinding sound, sounded like knocking the box into 4WD whilst moving, but I didn't touch it, honest!

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Idle speed
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 15:09:05 »
If you have a second cable running off the injector pump, it should be for a excess fuel device to help it when cold starting
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline S188

Attack Member
Idle speed
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 16:57:28 »
Quote from: "hobbit"
If you have a second cable running off the injector pump, it should be for a excess fuel device to help it when cold starting

Don't think they ever fitted anything that flash to the 2.25 diesel, they had hand throttles as atandard to increse the revs when cold manually.  On cold winters days they will sound a bit rough when cold.  If your landy was converted to diesel like mine chances are you won't have a hand throttle so might need to keep it on fast idle with your foot.  The second cable on the pump is the stop cable so make sure that is able to move fully into the run position.  If your landy has servo assisted brakes then there will be a buterfly valve fitted on the air intake operated by an overly complicated accelerator linkage.  I dont have one so don't know much about them apart from they are not the easyest things to get working right and doubtless a warn linkage could cause it to do funny things.

I think Idle speed on the diesel is about 650rpm I think (with the engine warm and the handthrottle at the min/disabled position).  Its easily to ajust  as its one of the bolts that limits the accelerator control on the side of the pump (the one the leaver is sprung against, if it doesn't spring onto it properly then that could cause your problem, you'd need to ajust the linkage).  The other stopper bolt for this arm is the engine max speed control which should have been set to 4200rpm and sealed in a tamperproof sleve so it doesn't look like a bolt. wether its still sealed will depend on if someones wanted to play with it.  Mine used to idle really fast and it anoyed me so I tryed setting it to what the book said (I have an optical tacho) but I thought the proper speed was too low as everything vibrated loads.  Think its just below 700rpm now but it sounds spot on.

Make sure your diesel filters are clean, that can make a differance (though usally when under load) and I think there is a gause filter on the inlet banjo to the injector pump too thats probubly never been cleaned.
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline andyfloss03

Attack Member
Idle speed
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 20:31:04 »
thxs very much. well check it out  :D