AuthorTopic: front axle now a mystery  (Read 453 times)

Offline Matt_H

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
front axle now a mystery
« on: February 17, 2007, 14:20:38 »
well after talks of my rear axle being odd I decided to swap the ends of the front axle in one go with the spare axle I had aquired.

Big mistake.  Stripped the old one last night and it all looked good for today, everything went amazingly well.  Got the 'new' end bolted up in place and noticed that the disc was free to spin - thats odd me thinks..

I pull the end off again and its a 10 spline.. go check the 'old one' and its a 24 spline!  Grrrr

Had a look at the hub assembly and the outter drive plate part is thinner on the 'old one' as well.

Would I be right in thinking that I have a latter 300tdi front axle?  I'll post some pictures up of the component parts in a bit.

Matthew

Offline muddysteve

Attack Member
front axle now a mystery
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 18:49:03 »
hmmmm

so there might be a 10 spline axle up for sale???

sorry didnt get back to you the other day had a mare with my other motor
Steve                www.lanerovers.co.uk    www.surreyoffroaders.co.uk

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
front axle now a mystery
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 19:48:40 »
there is indeed steve.  I rebuilt the one on there with enough spares I had left over (I bit the bullit)..  I've no idea what I was being funny about pulling it apart in the first place!

Got the preload much better and it's eliminated all the play which is nice... I tightened up the rear wheel carrier and the rattle/clonk has gone - DOH!

Either way though I've had my fun with this one and she's up for sale!  

Front axle is herehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260088334868&rd=1&rd=1

You'll need to refill it with oil and you need to check the pre-load on the shims (I've a bucket of spare ones if you need) as I've had one end apart.  Wear wise it's minimal with no pits that are obviuos on the balls.. Hell I'm close enough, come and have a look fer your self!

matthew

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal